Black Alae Killer (Leslies)

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi all,

So we are just trying the product Black Alae Killer (Leslies) step 4, for the black algae pool we have.... long time fighting and controlling it...

The pool owner brought this from the US (we are in Mexico, in Baja) together with the Fresh and Clear step 3 Oxidizing shock...

Don't really know if this will work but we are running out of options.

So today this were the basic readings:

It is a SWG at 100% for now and, maybe a mistake, but has helped a little, we have added a couple of chlorine tablets too.

FC: 8 (trying to have it high to algae doesn't multiply that fast)
pH: 7.3
CH: 260
TA: 90
CYA: 60

So we have been trying to find out what to do after the treatment as the product label or webpage doesn't explain in detail.

It says to apply one part of the black algae product for 9 of water and apply 12 oz for every 10,000 gallons. It is a 13,000 gallon pool so we added 12-14 oz and about 120 oz. of water.

We poured it then into the pool but many questions are left:

1) How much time should the pump run and for how many days? We left it running 24/7 for now but don't know when to have it back to normal

2) After we poured this, what should we expect and what should we do? Should we also add the "fresh and clear oxidizing shock"? or just do the normal service?

3) Should we apply this treatment again? When should we do this? or once is enough? I know you will have lots of comments on this but well, here I am seeking for your help hehehe.....

4) The product says only how to maintain this after "no visible" algae is presents. To apply 6oz. every 5-7 days but it doesn't say what to do after the first application or what to do if after the first one the algae doesn't go away.

Well as always any info. or advise you have will be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need any extra info.

Hopefully with this treatment we will be able to control the algae, as i think we will never get rid of it unless the walls material is exchanged by tile or so (currently pebble but not very fine finish, so it has lots of... mmm.. cravings you say? not sure on the word... like little holes where the algae can hide..).

thanks!!

Hector

If there's not a support number on the bottle or literature, I'd suggest calling Leslies and asking them how to apply it. They can either tell you how to or direct you to the actual mfg of the product.

Ok thanks.

Was trying to find out if anybody used this product before and what results they got.

I read another post where someone added too much product cause got confused on the dosage (10,000 gallons vs. 1,000 gallons), but didn't find nothing more.

I read on being cautions on adding too much to prevent the stains, thanks for the advice again.

Thanks!

Hardtrance,

Back to the basics! Chlorine kills algae! Black, yellow, green....it doesn't matter. Use chlorine you to keep your pool sanitary and algae free. You simply need more of it to deal with black algae. :lol: :lol:

duraleigh said:
Hardtrance,

Back to the basics! Chlorine kills algae! Black, yellow, green....it doesn't matter. Use chlorine you to keep your pool sanitary and algae free. You simply need more of it to deal with black algae. :lol: :lol:

Hi there Dave!

Thanks for the recommendation. Bad side is that chlorine seems not to be enough this time. Black algae is getting back little by little no matter the FC has been maintained between 7-9 ppm for a while after doing a very thorough scrubbing with the brush (2 daily for 14 days, which helped a lot + having the pool shocked at mustard level for that time (higher than normal shock level)).

We used TONS of liquid chlorine to prevent the CYA raise but I can't imagine maintaining such an expense to keep the FC level that high in the long run.

We will see what results we get with this product. I'll let all know what happened, but first need to know the basics on what to do after the first application lol.

Hector

Hey, hardtrance,

How are you? If I had a gunite pool with balck algae, I would put my CYA around 30 (In your climate) and then run my FC between 7-10ppm. I would add enough FC each evening to get back up to 10ppm.

Secondly, I would brush the side with a stainless steel brush to expose the algae to the FC Following this procedure for a couple of weeks would probably get rid of most visible black algae.

Then, I would bring the CYA back up to around 60 but continue to maintain the FC up around 7-10ppm at all times.

duraleigh said:
Hey, hardtrance,

How are you? If I had a gunite pool with balck algae, I would put my CYA around 30 (In your climate) and then run my FC between 7-10ppm. I would add enough FC each evening to get back up to 10ppm.

Secondly, I would brush the side with a stainless steel brush to expose the algae to the FC Following this procedure for a couple of weeks would probably get rid of most visible black algae.

Then, I would bring the CYA back up to around 60 but continue to maintain the FC up around 7-10ppm at all times.

Thanks again for the advice!

I will suggest this option, sound good except that the owners might not want to pay for another two week treatment (they are not that young so they can't do it themselves..)

We will try!

I also had a few black algae spots and couldn't get rid of them with high levels of chlorine.
I used this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swimming-Pool-S ... 51983d7ead
Most likely has the same ingredients but it worked. Not sure why they doubled the price.
I'm not an expert but from what I've heard, you have to use the stainless brush to open up the black algae like duraleigh said. It develops a membrane that protects it from chemicals.
I understand that it's roots are in the plaster and the only way to actually get rid of it is to acid wash.
Don't flame me, it's just what I've been told when I was dealing with the problem.
Hope it helps.

Hey Budman! Thanks for your comments..

Well actually as of today, the black algae is finally dying!! :party:

But it wasn't until we used the Black Algae Killer product the pool owner brought from the US.

We combined with the Oxidizing powder and it is, for the first time, making the black algae fall very quickly and pool now looks really good but not all has died.

More later!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.