Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Cartridge Filter... What Size?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Cartridge Filter... What Size?

Hello!

I'm in the final stages of my pool build (See thread "My Pool Build - St. Charles, MO") and am down to selecting my filter size. I'm debating between the Clean and Clear Plus 420, and the Clean and Clear 200. The money difference is not a primary concern.

As I see it:
    Pro's of 420:
    -Larger square footage, less cleaning

Con's of 420:
    -4 Cartridges = more $ when I replace them and more cleaning at the end of the season
    -Lid perhaps a bit more difficult to get off
    -Takes up more space on my pad

Info on my pool can be seen in my signature. I live in Missouri and therefore only get about 5 months of usable time and I a moderate amount of large debris...

Please weigh in with your opinion... 420 or the 200.

Thanks!
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Cartridge Filter... What Size?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    +2 on the 420.

4. Back To Top    #4

With pool filtering - bigger is almost always better. +3 on the 420
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Cartridges, decently cared for, should last about 3-5 years. The 200's cartridge will be subjected to a significantly higher load that will shorten it's life. The 420 is the better choice. It will filter more effectively and for longer periods.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

wow... I expected to have some controversy on this one... I guess not! Makes my decision easy...
    17'x36' Freeform (Omni/Gemini shape) Polymer Vinyl Liner Pool; Made by Hydra Pools; 6' Water Depth; Cantilever Concrete Stamped Coping; 8' Radius White Step; 8' White Cozy Cove with 6 Jets; 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow 2-Speed Pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter; Kreepy Krauly Legend Pool Sweep; 2 Skimmers; 4 Returns; 2" Rigid PVC; Pentair 5G LED Light; Pacific Ultra Mesh Safety Cover; Pentair Intellichlor IC 40; 3 Deck Jets

7. Back To Top    #7

With a smaller cartridge filter, you have to clean it more frequently. The only advantage it has is that with a single cart system it can be easier to clean so some people prefer that, but having a larger multi-cart system that you need to clean less frequently is preferred by many (including myself). I have a Jandy CL340 for my 16,000 gallon pool that I only need to clean once a year. There is no question that it is a PITA to clean with its 4 cartridges, but I'd rather do that only once a year and, as was noted, have the cartridges last longer before needing to be replaced. I have an electric safety cover that keeps the pool relatively clean which helps as well. Most of what gets caught in the filter seems to be suntan lotion. Before we cut down a cedar tree near the pool, there were lots of cedar needles also caught in the filter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the great input! I can see the benefits to each, but it sounds those that went bigger, never wish they had gone smaller. Not sure the converse is true.... Thanks again!