Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice. Pros/Cons solid vs. mesh cover...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice. Pros/Cons solid vs. mesh cover...

Newbie looking for cover advice. My pool is small so expense is low on all of these covers. I don't have any trees near the pool or leaf issues. I am leaning towards a mesh cover so that rainwater will refill pool and I would expect that I wouldn't have to deal with pumping water off of the cover.
    What are the plus and minus factors for mesh vs. solid covers? Recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice. Pros/Cons solid vs. mesh cover...

I don't have the tree/leaf issue either. So I don't bother with a cover at all. just my opinion
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mesh covers let the pool get noticeably dirtier over the winter and have a higher chance of algae getting started. They do allow rain water into the pool, though that can be a problem if you get too much rain and the water level goes too high. Also, it is possible to pump water from a solid cover back into the pool, if you are concerned about getting as much rain water as possible, which gives you more control. Micro mesh covers minimize nearly all of these issues, as much less light and much less debris get through the micro mesh. Solid covers really need a cover pump or enough attention to get excess water off the cover when needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would recommend Loop Loc's Ultra Loc II with mesh drain panels. The cover doesn't need a pump and the pool stays much cleaner than a mesh cover. Never had any issues with algae on an opening of an Ultra Loc II yet.

-Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a standard reinforced Vinyl / "solid" pool cover with a fair amount of trees nearby.

The cover is very heavy and cumbersome to install. I need at least 2 others to help put the cover on and it's still a bear.
    Water also collects on different areas of the cover so a pump in one spot is not effective. I resort to moving the pump around by using a long skimmer pole....it's a pain.

I'm seriously considering some type of mesh cover when I replace.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

6. Back To Top    #6

We have a Loop-Loc mesh cover. It does let some pollen in. On the plus side it is possible (though non-optimal of course) for me alone to drag that baby up a flight of stairs, out to the pool, and put it on by myself. The pool is 16 x 40.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just want to say that IMHO, the micro-mesh covers are the best of both worlds

Let us know what you end up getting and we'll help you use and care for it (and your pool )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree micro-mesh is the best of both worlds i love mine and i have several maple trees and it lets very little dirt in and no pumping water off to worry about.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

9. Back To Top    #9

Some reviews for mico-mesh are not good. I suspect, like most things, some are better than others. What brand did you get and from where?
    Thanks!!!!!
    Donna
    18X37 Grecian Vinyl Liner, X-Stream Slide, 1 1/2HP Hayward Pump, 3/4HP Polaris Booster, AquaRite SWG, Jandy AE3000 Heat/Cool, Jandy Deck Jets, 4.0 Colorlogic Light, Polaris 280 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Donna, I've seen a few, like the Loop-Loks, but the ones I have a bunch of experience are the Cover Logic 'Sunblock weave' made by Vyn-All in N.H. {caveat on the irregular shaped pools, the overlap tends to vary, so a little extra attention is required to get one to fit correctly }

None the less, they are great covers
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)