Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter lifespan - Buy new grid cartridge or buy new filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter lifespan - Buy new grid cartridge or buy new filter?

Here is my situation. I have an 8 year old Sta-rite SMD S7MD60 DE filter, and recently DE and dirt began being blown into the pool returns on occasion. Upon inspection of the DE grid cartridge, I noticed several tears that will require a new grid cartridge. Unfortunately this old Sta-rite model did not have individual grids, but rather had one large cartridge that included all 60 sq. feet in one cartridge. I have found the cartridge online with a best price of ~$260. I have also priced new filter systems at around $600. I am torn between which option makes the most sense. My two questions below are:

1. If I replace the DE grids on my current filter for $260, how many more years of reasonable life can I expect out of my existing filter housing and backwash valve? I have the unit shaded from the sun, but at the same time it is 8 years old. Any replacement parts going forward will be very expensive.

2. What kind of life expectancy can I expect on a new filter? I am actually looking at getting a Hayward sand filter as dealing with this DE has been kind of a nightmare.

3. Given my scenario of $260 for a replacement cartridge now vs. $600 for a new filter, which option would you recommend?

Thanks all for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter lifespan - Buy new grid cartridge or buy new filt

Grids should last, when properly cared for, between 5 to 10 years. Your filter isn't that old. I would just replace the grids.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

More than the price difference, it seems like you have had issues with the DE. A new grid cartridge may not alleviate that.

DE works fine for many, many people but if there is something that doesn't make it right for you, I would switch to sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. It helps knowing my filter has some life left in it. I think I will just replace the DE grid. My "nightmare with DE" was just more to illustrate that if I was going to go with a new filter I would lean more towards sand.