Too much sand for floor base?

Durf

Jul 6, 2011
I have a 18x33 pool and we needed like 10 tons of sand to even out the base when we installed July of 2010. I figured no big deal, the more sand the better. We now I have divots and trails everywhere, it kept getting worse as this(2011) year went on. I know I do not have a leak. Is the excess sand combined with walking on the pool floor possibly causing this? If so what can be done? Or is it something else entirely? I was thinking about trying this http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/Li ... r-Padding/

but that would obviously mean draining pool, pulling out liner, releveling flloor, and istalling floor padding and then reinstalling liner. Seems like a lot of work and possibly might have to buy new liner since i have been told that once a liner stretches out it can not be reinstalled. I was told that by a local pool company, however many on here have said they have done it so i do not know.

BTW the original install I had the this installed between the sand and liner.
http://www.pcpools.com/abovegroundpooll ... uct/nl119/

My pool guy had not used it before but really liked it. Could this have anything to do with it?

Since that liner is only a year old and obviously you have [not] chemically abused it, you should be able to remove, relevel and reinstall it.

The Gorilla bottom shouldn't have had anything to do with the issues you're having. Sounds like they didn't dampen and tamp the sand good when they installed it.

cramar said:
Did someone use a hand tamper to compress the sand? The sand needs to be compressed.

I do not believe so. I'm wondering if i can live with it or if it will continue to get worse? If I do try to fix what is the best way of doing it?

It probably won't continue to get worse. Over time it may even level out some as more of the sand gets compacted from use. The only way to really fix it is to remove the liner and relevel and tamp the sand down, then reset the liner. The good news is that you don't have to completely remove the liner to fix it.

I know it's a lot of work but the amount of work to fix now is way less then if the liner rips and starts leaking and washing away your base.
Drain the pool, pull back 1/2 of the liner and compact the dirt (Home Depot sells hand tampers), put the liner back up, then do the same to the other half and refill. Assuming the liner is good to keep.

It's the lesser of 2 evils, in my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.