Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much sand for floor base?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much sand for floor base?

I have a 18x33 pool and we needed like 10 tons of sand to even out the base when we installed July of 2010. I figured no big deal, the more sand the better. We now I have divots and trails everywhere, it kept getting worse as this(2011) year went on. I know I do not have a leak. Is the excess sand combined with walking on the pool floor possibly causing this? If so what can be done? Or is it something else entirely? I was thinking about trying this http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/Li ... r-Padding/

but that would obviously mean draining pool, pulling out liner, releveling flloor, and istalling floor padding and then reinstalling liner. Seems like a lot of work and possibly might have to buy new liner since i have been told that once a liner stretches out it can not be reinstalled. I was told that by a local pool company, however many on here have said they have done it so i do not know.

BTW the original install I had the this installed between the sand and liner.
    http://www.pcpools.com/abovegroundpooll ... uct/nl119/

My pool guy had not used it before but really liked it. Could this have anything to do with it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much sand for floor base?

Since that liner is only a year old and obviously you have [not] chemically abused it, you should be able to remove, relevel and reinstall it.

The Gorilla bottom shouldn't have had anything to do with the issues you're having. Sounds like they didn't dampen and tamp the sand good when they installed it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Did someone use a hand tamper to compress the sand? The sand needs to be compressed.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Did someone use a hand tamper to compress the sand? The sand needs to be compressed.
    I do not believe so. I'm wondering if i can live with it or if it will continue to get worse? If I do try to fix what is the best way of doing it?

5. Back To Top    #5

It probably won't continue to get worse. Over time it may even level out some as more of the sand gets compacted from use. The only way to really fix it is to remove the liner and relevel and tamp the sand down, then reset the liner. The good news is that you don't have to completely remove the liner to fix it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I know it's a lot of work but the amount of work to fix now is way less then if the liner rips and starts leaking and washing away your base.
    Drain the pool, pull back 1/2 of the liner and compact the dirt (Home Depot sells hand tampers), put the liner back up, then do the same to the other half and refill. Assuming the liner is good to keep.

It's the lesser of 2 evils, in my opinion.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-g ... 79635.html

So use the above tool and hammer the sand compact? Sounds pretty simple. I am a little curious how this is happening with the gorilla pad? I gueess that pad isnt that thick and won't cover extreme deviations on the ground washing away.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's the tool! Yeah, the Gorilla pad doesn't provide any structure, nor should it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

That's the same tool I bought.......unfortunately I can't foresee any other projects that will require using it, unless I ever do a pool install again

10. Back To Top    #10

You could always use it as a flag pole!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I took a 14" long piece of 4"X4" I had laying around, drilled a starter hole in it then hammered a piece of 1/2" rebar I had about. Did a good job and is out by the shed if ever needed again.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School