Warning low amp - cell? What to do?

Nov 5, 2011
I have been having issues as I get the low amps - cell warning. I ran the TEST POOL PILOT which stated that I had 0 volts and only .6 amps (less than one). I tried a new cell. This one is a 42 instead of the 48 which I have had in it and still it is giving me the same warning.

Salt levels are 3900 ppm. Anyone know what the problem could possibly be? The banana connectors are fine and no corrosion is on any of the plugs. The board looks very clean. The fuse on the top left looks fine except that it is not see through, unlike the other 3 so it may be hard to tell. Maybe it needs replacing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Welcome to TFP!

When you do the Test Pool Pilot command, you need to make sure that the system has already had the cell turned on for a couple of minutes. Otherwise you can get an incorrect reading. One way to make sure of this is to set the system in Boost mode, wait two minutes, and then do a Test Pool Pilot.

Thanks Jason!

Yes I am aware of that and I did get those results after the pump was on for a while. Also just to let you know some black tar substance came out of the cord (the end where the cell plugs in) so we changed the cord. In relation to the warning however I have good news. I took out the top left fuse (the one which you can't see through, so you can't see if it is blown) and put in another fuse I had and the warning stopped (red light stopped blinking).

The fuse I put in however is just 10 amps and the fuse which was in it is 20 amps (that's the only one I have at the moment). When I took out my test fuse (10 amps) it was pretty hot. I assume this is normal as it is only 10 amps and the fuse what is meant to be there should be 20 amps?

Any idea why the original fuse might be blown? Is the cell bad or something? What about the cord? Should I replace the fuse and the cell? If I put a new fuse back in will the same problem happen again? I assume I need to get another 20 amp fuse to replace? The system is off at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

Hard to say why it was warm/hot. If the cell cord (at the cell) was burnt, it may be possible that the cell terminals were wet when it was plugged back together? If there was some moisture, from acid washing or cleaning the cell, without drying off the terminals, it can get hot enought to melt the black rubber material inside the cell cord.
Just make sure the terminals are dry before reconnecting the cell cord.
This can also cause the fuse to blow...if it blows again, then there may be a circuit board issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.