Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new Pentair IC-40 salt cell displays 60% life gone??

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new Pentair IC-40 salt cell displays 60% life gone??

I installed a brand new Pentair IC-40 salt cell and when I ran the "life test" (by pressing the "more" button for five seconds) it displayed 60% life used up. I then replaced this salt cell with another brand new cell. Ran the life test again, and got 60% life used up again. Any ideas why I'm getting an obviously incorrect reading? Pentair doesn't seem to know. All my chemicals and salt levels are in check; water temp 68, salt cell is generating plenty of chlorine.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new Pentair IC-40 salt cell displays 60% life gone

I would recommend getting a diagnostic report with Pentair Intelliwand, you can then conclusively prove hours of operation in all the levels (20,40,etc) plus overall hours in use and hours power connected.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't worry about what the life test tells you, really. If its new, and making chlorine satisfactorally, then your good to go.
    An intelliwand is a waste of $150, IMO.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

> An intelliwand is a waste of $150

no need to pay more than 100 and one can get to use one for free from our local pool supply merchants, no need to buy one.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

60% is the default after reset, (Holding the more or less button down ) the Life will only show for a second before going to 60% when doing that test. There is nothing wrong with the cell and is doing as it should

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Intelliwand will show all kinds of info. I use mine all the time. I dont think its a wast. shows you a complete history of the cell

7. Back To Top    #7

Archonis, you are correct. Just got the same info from Pentair that life lights go out and then to 60% as the output default. Wish that info would have come with the cell. Thanks.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.