Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding cement pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding cement pool

Pool walls are cement, I have handrail and ladder going in. Can i run wire from pool pump to ladder to handrail? or does it also have to connect to pool wall? i dont see any place to connect it. This is a renovation. How do i attach wire to cement if thats needed? Thanks for the help
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    11,000 Gallons~
    2 HP Pump
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding cement pool

Concrete is bonded by attaching the bond wire to the rebar. An electrician should be consulted to ensure that bonding is done to local code.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

There should be a metallic bonding grid embedded in the cement/concrete. There is almost always a bonding wire coming off of the metallic grid embedded in the concrete and heading off towards the equipment pad. Often a little searching around the equipment pad will turn it up.

For ladders, you normally either drill the hole for the anchor cups and locate some metal to bond to in the hole you just drilled, or you cut a slot in the deck and insert a bonding wire running from the anchor cups to the closest location where you can locate a connection to the bonding system. If you are doing extensive renovations it is usually very easy to turn up such a spot, but if all you are doing is adding a ladder it can get tricky to find somewhere appropriate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks i found rebar with lug on it coming out of pool wall. So do i just run wire from pump lug to lug on pool wall to ladder anchor? is that all? or does this have to be earth grounded as well. thought "bonding" was just tying metal parts together with wire
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    11,000 Gallons~
    2 HP Pump
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5