How do I replace a Hayward Northstar pump motor

Nov 1, 2011
Houston, TX
I had another thread that discussed our system not turning on - which occured three days after installing a new Cell. I was hoping it was related but it seems it is just a wierd coincidence...

Currently the pump makes a humming sound and heats up real hot but it wont turn on and pump the system. I've checked for loose wiring; tripped circuit breakers and the GFCI. I pulled part of the pump apart (motor lock ring and difuser) to see if the impeller was obstructed - it seemed fine. I could not separate it any further...

Important questions:

Is there anything else I can check before I buy a new pump or motor? I'm not a tech so it would have to be homeowner stuff only...
If a pump is around $600 and a motor is around $300 - doesn't it make more sense to replace the motor only? Or is that a dumb idea and why?
If I do the motor only - how do I separate it from the seal plate? That's as far as I could get when I tried to tear it down.
Please help - the wife is all over me about getting this thing working! :blah: :hammer:

bobodaclown said:

THANK YOU!!!!! We're half way there!! Theoretically speaking of course :mrgreen:

The video of the capacitor shows the external capacitor - under that hump. The video of the motor replacement shows the old motor with no apparent capacitor (they say they checked the capacitor) and then a new motor with the capacitor external like the first video. Our capacitor is not apparent either. Does anyone know where the capacitor would be on a Northstar (same motor as the old motor on the replace motor video).

I also noticed they were using an open ended wrench when they were holding the shaft while taking apart the impeller on the old motor, then they did an edit, then when they returned the chuckled. On the new motor when they were tightening the impeller they had a pool tool for the shaft. I'm guessing I will need that tool too?

Thank you for the help! It would be too cool if we can do this without hiring a tech. :party:

If the capacitor is not on top of the motor, then it should be under the back motor cover as shown in the picture below on the pump to the right. To remove the impeller, you remove the capacitor and hold the shaft with a 7/16-inch wrench (or 11 mm) while removing the impeller with a strap wrench. When installing the impeller, you hold the shaft with the 7/16-inch wrench and screw the impeller on hand tight, you don't need a tool.

centurion-ao-smith-motors.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1RWd6lae9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6FaK3MX4o

The capacitor is on the back on a Northstar because the retaining ring for the housing is too small to allow one on the top. If you end up having to purchase a new motor (hope that won't be the case) be sure to double check the capacitor location for this reason.

Thank you!!!! We found the capacitor and removed it. The digital multi meter didnt give any reading. I need an analog to double check it. If no reading: we are going to buy a capacitor first and if that doesn't work then the motor...

Before I let the salesperson sell me whatever they want... how do I know EXACTLY what I need?

I think I can see this:
36U - stuff after that is not legible
370VA - stuff after that is not legible
40/0702 - stuff after that is not legible
325P356 - stuff after that is not legible

Hayward only does email. The service dept at Platinum pools (people who did pool) is voice mail.

Just another reason why I love this site--------

Hayward Northstar pump- humming and very hot- followed this thread and replaced the capacitor for $15 took about 30 min.......

major props!!

thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.