Hayward Ecostar and Heater wiring

Oct 27, 2011
I'm replacing my single speed WhiperFlo 2HP pump with a EcoStar Variable speed pump.

And I'm looking over the wiring realizing that the existing mechanical timer cuts the power to both
the pump and the heater to prevent the heater from being on when the pump is off.

Well I'm planning on using the digital timer built into the Ecostar to control when the pump goes off and on,
so how can I have the same protection to cut off the heater when the pump is off?

I suppose I could put a current sensing relay on the pump power to cut the power to the heater,
but I'm curious if that is what most installers would do?

Any suggestion would be helpful,
Thanks,

-Aaron

The easiest thing to do would be to set the flow rate to the minimum required by the heater and just allow the pump to run continuously. If you have a large pool, then this might be the best option. If you have a smaller pool, then continuous operation might be more turnover than necessary and would cost more in electricity. If the electric rates are low, and the pool is large, then I would consider operating the pump continuously.

The heater has a pressure switch, which should turn the heater off when the pump turns off. You could add a flow switch in addition to the pressure switch for extra safety. Ideally, the heater should be turned off about 5 to 15 minutes before the pump is turned off to allow the heater to cool down before the flow stops. The newer models of heater are designed to reduce the risk of heater problems if the flow is suddenly stopped, but I would still want the heater to be shut off at least 5 minutes early.

The other option is to use some sort of automation. Since you have the Hayward EcoStar, then Hayward automation would be the better choice.

You could use a timer to turn the heater off 15 minutes before the pump, but the timers could get out of sync. Also, it's best to shut the heater off using the fireman's switch rather than shutting off the power to the heater, because the heater has a shutdown procedure, which can't happen if the power is shut off.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 4007_I.htm

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual290.pdf

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual291.pdf

I have a Raypak RP2100 Digital (model P-R335AL-EN) heater. I cant seem to find a manual online.
I just recently bought the house with this pool, and I dont know the history of when the pump/heater were bought or have any manuals for any of them.
I believe it has the pressure sensor as you described. I'll try it out.

The pool is a 18,000 gallon pool with a 800 gallon spa that cascades into it, both sharing the same heater and pump.
I'm planning on running the pump 24/7, so your suggestion of running the pump at minimum heater slow rate should work.

I eventually plan to put in the Hayward OnCommand automation system, but I thought I'd get the pump in first, for power savings.

-Aaron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.