How hard to replace a SAm?

Are you replacing the bulb or the entire fixture? You shouldn't need to drain your pool down for to either repair it or replace it. There should be a top screw that holds it in place. Once that is undone the fixture should just come out and enough cord is left in place to bring it to the deck. I replaced my broken Sam as well as all my other lights with LED lights.

My old Sam light had two bulbs. Maybe one of your bulbs is burned out. Do you see two lights on or just one? My SAm had two lights one on each side. Is this a full sized fixture? Or a spa light? The color changing part of my SAm was motorized and was no longer working so I am not familiar with color changing part. It was in my opinion just cheaper to replace the entire fixture with a led light instead of trying to replace the motor.

The water does not have to be drained to switch out the lights or motor. Yes there are two lights P/N 7911240. Also the motor can be replaced P/N 619495 it's about 80 bucks. Make sure if you open it change the gasket as well the standard American Product Light gasket.

I can't tell if a bulb is out. I see a light and its bright but not sure if its one or two. The light does change so maybe its not the motor. When I pull the light out and take off the lens ....can I turn the light on to see what happens i.e if a light is out or if motor is working? Thanks so much, yall are so helpful. Does your new LED change colors?

Yes, my led lights do change colors. They do put on a pretty impressive light show at night and the kids really enjoy the changing colors. We had a red pool and spa for Halloween. As Ohm_Boy said you shouldn't turn you pool light on out of the water for very long. The pool light is cooled by the pool water and will get extremely hot fast.

Flippy - can you tell me what light you have? I'm not real happy with this light considering we maybe got less then 200 hrs before it stopped working right. But then again I have had nothing BUT issues with this pool and the equipment which leads me to believe my pool builder is a crook.

This sounds like a burnt out bulb.

The fixture should have enough cord stuffed in the niche, usually wrapped around the fixture to allow you to unscrew the retaining screw at the top of the fixture and bringing the unit to the surface and onto the deck.

Then you can change the bulbs and gasket and replace the fixture into the niche,

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the pentair intellibrite 5g led lights. Like PoolGuyNJ said it probably is just a burnt out bulb. I would try that before I spent a couple of hundred on a new fixture. I ended up replacing all of mine because they all were in bad shape when I bought the house. The previous owner did not take good care of the pool or the house.

Flippy said:
My old Sam light had two bulbs. Maybe one of your bulbs is burned out. Do you see two lights on or just one? My SAm had two lights one on each side. Is this a full sized fixture? Or a spa light? The color changing part of my SAm was motorized and was no longer working so I am not familiar with color changing part. It was in my opinion just cheaper to replace the entire fixture with a led light instead of trying to replace the motor.

The motor kit can be purchased online for around $40. A new SAm or LED system (e.g. IntelliBrite) would cost roughly $500. So, fixing the SAm would be the way to go. Unfortunately, these SAm lights are notorious for leaking water even with a good seal using a new o-ring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.