Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stone work on sun/wet deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

West Tennessee

Stone work on sun/wet deck?

Are there any concerns with this set-up? It looks really pretty. I think that the PB we met with said that we uses the same stone on the wet deck, stairs & swim outs that he using on the coping. I LOVE the look, but I"m wondering if there are concerns with the stone being submerged in salt water ALL the time. He obviously will seal it. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stone work on sun/wet deck?

I think that the best stone for such uses is quartzite, as shown here: ... _tile_fish

Regular sandstone is not durable enough for such use. Some sandstone might be suitable depending on the quality and composition. Such sandstone might be referred to as a quartzitic sandstone. Some quartzitic sandstone is sold as quartzite. A true quartzite would work best.

It might be best to consult a stonemason or a stone supplier to inquire about what stones are suitable and available.

Note: Quartz based stones are classified according to ASTM C616 as Type I (Sandstone), Type II (quartzitic sandstone), or Type III (quartzite).

The stone mason and/or supplier should be able to tell you which classification the stone is. There are specific qualities that the stone has to meet to qualify as a particular type. ... tSheet.pdf