pH Finally Stops Rising

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
After 10 months of adding about a quart of MA every 2-3 days (way more for the first 6 weeks) I was getting skeptical of the often repeated statement that pH will rise during the first year of a pool. I thought I was destined to keep buying about 4 gallons of MA each month for the life of the pool.

Well, I'm now in my twelfth month and I'm finally seeing real progress. I added 24 oz of MA on 10/31 to bring my pH down to around 7.3-7.4 and this morning it's somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8. In the last two days the pH has hardly moved. My pH seems to be leveling off around 7.6. For those with new pools who continue to see their pH rise, have patience. I think it's also helped that I've been able to keep my TA round 60-70 now that summer is over and I'm not adding high TA fill water to my pool every 3 or 4 days.

Yes, I can say that ours has started to slow down as well. I'm guessing temperature has something to do with it as well.

I was having to test every day and add at least a cup of acid for the first 2 months to keep pH below 8.0. Then for the next two months it was testing every other day (and adding acid). Now, 6 months after replaster was complete, our pH seems to have settle around 7.6 as well. I haven't needed to add acid in over a week. I am quite happy that chlorine usage is so much lower with the colder temperatures as well.

I am in pool chemistry nirvana thanks to the advice from kind folks here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.