Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical question

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical question

My electrician is telling me that code requires me to put 3' of rebar in 1' squares all around my pool in the concrete..... for bonding purposes. I have a few in-ground pools around me and I don't think I have seen anyone using rebar all the way around. Does this seem right???

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Electrical question

NEC 680.26 is the specific article that deals with equipotential bonding of pools. Section 680.26(B)(2) is the specific section. It states that you can either bond to the rebar OR have a copper bonding loop 18 to 24" from the inside wall all the way around the pool. However, your inspector has the last word. Don't win the battle and lose the war with him/her.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Rebar reaching out at least 3' from the water in a concrete deck around a pool is extremely common. There are some alternatives, such as replacing the rebar with #8 copper wire, or using certain kinds of steel mesh to form the grid, but they are almost always more expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a document I found that is very helpful. But yes, a grid is necessary for proper bonding.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

5. Back To Top    #5

The good thing is that I live in a village that doesn't have an inspector.. I want to make sure that I do it correctly so that I don't have any floating fish if you know what I mean... I guess I am going to go with the over 800 ft of rebar. **** more work.