Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use winter plug with air connection to compressor

1. Back To Top    #1

Use winter plug with air connection to compressor

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone knew how I could convert a winter plug so that it could be connected to an air compressor.

I think this would be ideal to just put it in your line tighten it down and then connect the air compressor to it to blow out the line, just not sure of all the parts I would need to make it work.
    Leisure Pools - Rivera (16,000 gal.)

Pentair System: IntelliChlor IC20, Clean & Clear Plus Filter, MasterTemp 250 Gas Heater, SuperFlow Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use winter plug with air connection to compressor

Probably better to make a PVC fitting to screw in to do it. It would be very hard to mount a Schrader on a rubber plug, but easy on a PVC cap.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Drill a hole in a PVC cap and install a tire valve in it?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

I got the idea from the tool they used in this video, I searched the internet to find something like this but came up empty.

[youtube:nxe6h8p9]AChsuNsUwMU[/youtube:nxe6h8p9]

Pentair System: IntelliChlor IC20, Clean & Clear Plus Filter, MasterTemp 250 Gas Heater, SuperFlow Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Just blow it from the pump end. Screw in an air hose quick connect into one of the pump drain plug ports. Use a 1/4" male/male nipple to make the connection.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking that if you had this plug apparatus you could blow it from either end if you needed too.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you blow it from a return line, the line you have the air hose on will fill back up with water once you remove the plug. Doing it from the pool end from a return would require draining the water below the returns. Usually, if you blow from the pool, you blow from the skimmer.
    It's much easier to blow from the pump end if you blowing the returns wet.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in Canada where we get a hard freeze in the winter so I drain below the returns. When I add my anti-freeze to the lines I like to blow both ways till I see a little bit come out each end, this just gives me confidence that I have the anti-freeze distributed throughout the whole line.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

-Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Aha! I knew it had to be out there somewhere. Thanks X-Pert!

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't recall who the manufacturer of the in floor cleaning system was but it was a 20 year old pool right outside DC in Northern Virginia. The caretaker head (In Floor Pop-up head system) had a trapezoid shaped expansion plugs with stem valve...I could never get them to seal.....ugh