what is acrylic when plastering a pool

Sep 13, 2007
Hi,

My neighbor has a very nice white plaster (was re-plastered 6 months ago) in their inground pool. I asked what their contractor used and they stated acrylic.

I'm not familiar with "acrylic" and my pool is in need of re-plastering. I'm looking for a bright white color (which I believe is basic/standard). Do I need acrylic?

Thanks in advance.

Paint. It probably won't look good for very long.

If you like the white look, a plain white plaster is a much better choice than paint. A white-ish pebble finish is an even better choice, but more expensive still.

There are acrylic additives that can be mixed with conventional plaster to create a surface with some of the properties of each. Adding acrylic makes the surface tougher, reducing the chances of cracking or chipping. In theory it should also reduce the sensitivity to the PH going too low. I haven't heard of acrylic additives being used with pool plaster, but it is fairly common for them to be added to the final coat of a stucco finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.