Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is acrylic when plastering a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

what is acrylic when plastering a pool

My neighbor has a very nice white plaster (was re-plastered 6 months ago) in their inground pool. I asked what their contractor used and they stated acrylic.

I'm not familiar with "acrylic" and my pool is in need of re-plastering. I'm looking for a bright white color (which I believe is basic/standard). Do I need acrylic?

Thanks in advance.
    25k gallon kidney shaped pool
    1 hp pump
    cartridge filter (4 cartridges)
    jandy deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: what is acrylic when plastering a pool

Paint. It probably won't look good for very long.

If you like the white look, a plain white plaster is a much better choice than paint. A white-ish pebble finish is an even better choice, but more expensive still.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: what is acrylic when plastering a pool

There are acrylic additives that can be mixed with conventional plaster to create a surface with some of the properties of each. Adding acrylic makes the surface tougher, reducing the chances of cracking or chipping. In theory it should also reduce the sensitivity to the PH going too low. I haven't heard of acrylic additives being used with pool plaster, but it is fairly common for them to be added to the final coat of a stucco finish.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School