Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ascorbic acid vs stains results

1. Back To Top    #1

ascorbic acid vs stains results

Hi all, recently started to notice that all my plastic plastic parts in our pool and our polaris were taking on a dull yellow/brown discoloration.
    Most notable on the skimmer baskets and baskets in the main pump and water feature pump.

So I took the water to a lab, not a pool store and found that we had a small amount of copper and iron, and a good amount of manganese.
    Which is not a surprise since our whole house water filter turns brown within a week of a fresh filter install.

The plastic stained the most are the skimmer baskets and basket in the main pump.

I took out the pump baskets and dipped one in the ascorbic acid last night. It worked great, within 10 seconds it was pure white again.

I plan on treating the pool and adding the sequesterant this weekend.

I have three question I hope someone can help with:
    1. should I put cellulose in the pool to help the cartridge filters catch the chelated metals?
    Or is that just a myth? I am guessing the metals are too small to be caught in the cartridge filter even with the cellulose ?

2. Would it be wise to start filling the pool from my whole house water filter/softner setup in lieu of the outside non filtered hose spicket ?

3. Since the ascorbic acid worked on the baskets, is my issue most likely iron or manganese? It is my understanding that if it were copper it would have a different affect on the baskets ?

Thanks much, this forum is fantastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: ascorbic acid vs stains results

1) I don't think the cellulose will help.
    2) I would use it to maintain the level but I probably would have water trucked in from a metal free source for a complete fill.
    3) Since the AA worked so well it's most likely iron.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply Bama.

I am in the process of running the full treatment now.
    Its amazing how quickly it cleaned up the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

South Central NJ

Check this out:

The packets aren't cheap but...

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.