Accidently overfilled pool - have a question

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hi all,

Because the level on my pool has been dropping, I filled it up this morning. I forgot to set my alarm and I just noticed it after... well a few hours and it's higher than I've ever had it. Not over the deck.

At the deep end, there is a rolled up retractable pool cover - in the early days (before I owned it) it had a working motor that rolled it out along tracks along the side of the pool. It hasn't worked in ages. We took the motor out a long time ago. The water is up high enough that it can pour over the slightly lowered edge of the pool (that allows for the cover to move out and over the water) and into this cavity where the cover is. I'm not sure what the inside of this thing looks like - all spiderwebs and yuckiness..we've never looked.

Have you pool guys seen these before and if so, do you know what kind of cavity houses these retractable covers? Should I worry that the water is going to do some damage back there?

Thanks for a quick response!! :O

The well is supposed to be designed to handle water since water will splash over the wall on a regular basis.

The cover well is usually concrete and it should have a drain that sends the water to somewhere it can go without problems. However, the well does need to be cleaned periodically to keep the drain clear and working properly.

If the drain is clogged, then the water could build up and cause corrosion in the aluminum roller tube and other metal parts. The well should have some sort of access lid that you can lift or remove to see what's going on in the well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.