Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed please. Drilled to large a hole.

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed please. Drilled to large a hole.

Well I am so frustrated and embarrassed. But as I have heard on the board before, experience is what you get just after you need it. I am adding two returns to my steps on my vinyl liner pool. They are Hayward 1408 inlet/outlet fittings. I drilled 3 inch holes just like I did on my wall for a vacuum outlet. Well, it looks like for this I need to install a Hayward 1411 which needs a 1 7/8 hole.

Please tell me I can fix this. Is there a different fitting I can put on the steps?

Thank you so much.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice needed please. Drilled to large a hole.

Why not put a standard return fitting in the hole? You can buy different sized eyeballs for them so that's not a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The main thing I am worried about is the seal against the plastic steps vs the seal with a liner.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as the surface isn't too curved it'll seal fine against the steps. If it's curved you can use butyl tape to seal it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit