Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using up old 12% liquid shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Using up old 12% liquid shock

Getting ready to close soon. Water is in low 50's so I'm turning off the swg and will use liquid shock for Cl until close. Can I use older gallons of shock purchased in August or should I get new? I read in pool school that older bottles of Cl may be lower in concentration, but is there any other problem with using it up? Also, if I do need to get new Cl how should I dispose safely of the old bottles?
    Thank you
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using up old 12% liquid shock

As long as the liquid chlorine has not gotten excessively hot, or very warm for many days, it should be fine to use. The Sodium hypochlorite disproportionates into chloride and chlorate.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Orlando, FL

Nothing wrong with using it. To play it safe, simply test the FC level a half hour or so after dosing just to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Cape Girardeau, Mo

Nothing wrong at all with using it i never throw it away what i have left from this year will get used next year.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Use it up. How else will you get rid of the stuff besides pouring it in the pool? If you save it until spring it will probably just be salt water by then.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD

The only thing to worry about is that it will have lost some of it's original strength, so you may need to use a little more than you would otherwise have needed. The loss in strength shouldn't be dramatic over six to eight weeks, enough to be able to notice a difference, but still reasonably strong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School