Plumbing in a new pool

Sep 13, 2011
Getting ready to begin plumbing my pool. I have a 20 x 40 with 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 2 returns, and 2 step jets. My pump is 1 1/2. How would you plumb it and what size pipe would you use? I am planning on running the md to the pad and two lines for my skimmers. I was planning on putting a t in near the eq pad for my skimmers but my concern is that one would have more suction than the other. Should I do the same for my returns? Please let me know your thoughts....

Plumb everything on its own line (if the main drains are side by side they can T right there though). Regardless put everything on it's own line and control the flow with Jandy valves (I like those). Plumb the lines in a way that when it comes to winterize you can isolate each line and blow them out without any risk of water going into another line when blowing. I personally like Flex PVC, some people hate it some people love it. That's another topic though and I'm sure you can search PVC vs Flex PVC and find all the pros and cons.

I usually use 1.5" but 2" is more efficient but more expensive as well. I don't actually install pools so I'm just replacing with the same size pipe when something is broken.

Also I'm not a huge fan of maindrains due to the way they are winterized by airlocking, but if you want maindrains you might want to plumb them so that a jandy valve can turn off the line while blowing to airlock. Or if you want you can plumb a union infront of the valve and disconnect there and blow out the maindrain and cap it quickly with a rubber plug, I only mention this because I've had valves in the past leak air after airlocking(although never on a jandy valve). You know it's leaking because you can hear the faint whistling sound.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.