Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC

What's the best way/ device for pressure testing lines on an inground

I am currently using an expandable plug with a schrader valve for the plug. On the "business end" I am using a collaboration of a brass schrader valve for adding air through a PVC 90 with a gauge hooked to that with a coupler for connecting.

Problem is I have to cut PVC attach my device glue, dry, test, cut. Repeat...

Thanks for all advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC ... y_Code=PTE

I basically use the anderson kit, except if something broke i would just replace it with my own parts. But what I think you are looking for is rubber compression plug that comes with the kit. Most of the time I don't have to cut, for example there is a plug that will fit in the front end of a superpump to test skimmers. Even if you do have to cut with this kit you can just install a screw tight union and just leave that installed after you are done. Actually now that I think about it, even if you didn't want to use the rubber expansion plugs you can modify your device to connect to half a union install a union on the line test with your half union and then reassemble the union after you are done.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC

My return eyelets can be unscrewed and use a standard 1.5 inch plug to seal them down. Do you have your pump hooked up allready? If you do why not use the drain plug to add the air. I believe it a standard fitting you might be able to thread into it to add air.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

South Central NJ

Re: How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC

Pressure testing with the equipment in place will lead to false positives, i.e failed tests. MPVs are especially prone but are certainly not exclusive.

A better solution, IMHO, is to go through a union. Splitting a union and having another like one with whatever additional plumbing to connect the tester to is more reliable.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.