We bought a new home that had a 30'x15' gunnite pool. It was left unused for the summer and covered and was very green when we opened it. We hired a pool company who spent $400 worth of effort on it over a four week period where we saw our green and cloudy pool go to a swamp with stuff living in it. It got waayyy worse under the pool care of the company. We fired them and took a test into Leslies. They had us use about 12 lbs of shock in it over a period of a couple of days. They also had us use green clear product and muratiac acid. The instructions were step by step and included cleaning the filter about three times as well.
We retested after three days of this and they had us put in another 2lbs of shock based on the how fast the pool was eating the chlorine. After about five days the pool was clearer than it'd ever been but VERY green still. The previous pool company had dumped in some $200 worth of metal free stuff already.
They tested phosphates which were off the charts at +2500 and had us put in $100 worth of chemicals to lower it.
Our last test showed our alkalinity, phosphates, ph, disolved solids all to be within normal. We let our chlorine levels drop to less than 1 so we could use the stain treatment chemical (asorbic acid) and dumped in 3.5 of the 2lb bottles of this stuff into our pool over a week. 4lbs were dumped in the last time. The pool is less green and is VERY clear and for the first time we can see the entire bottom, drain, etc. and YET ITS STILL GREEN!
So now we have very clear, very balanced pool with a slightly light green tint to it. Given the metal free, the asorbic acid, the incredible amount of chlorine and the fact we are now at about $1000 just trying to get the pool water normal I am just unsure where to go from here. Given the low chlorine use it's now showing I wouldn't think it is algea. Leslies tested for copper and iron and said the levels were ZERO.
Leslies has offered up a chemist to look at the water and we plan to do this but I was hoping someone might have some idea of what would cause this issue.