Need help with green pool

I went out last night and shut off the tablet dispenser. I figured I should know exactly what I am adding to the water. As of this morning it looked like there was no change, but it was well before sunrise when I had to leave for work.

I was testing my FC using the 10ml amount. I have never seen anything about multiplying by .5, where is that written? I'm sorry if I overlooked it somewhere. That would put my FC #s a lot closer to where it should be.

You are correct, I did add 560 ounces of bleach for my initial shock.

Thanks everyone.

odonekanobe said:
I went out last night and shut off the tablet dispenser. I figured I should know exactly what I am adding to the water. As of this morning it looked like there was no change, but it was well before sunrise when I had to leave for work.

I was testing my FC using the 10ml amount. I have never seen anything about multiplying by .5, where is that written? I'm sorry if I overlooked it somewhere. That would put my FC #s a lot closer to where it should be.

You are correct, I did add 560 ounces of bleach for my initial shock.

Thanks everyone.
Multiplying by .5 is in the directions on the lid of the TF100.

There are expanded directions in this sticky thread

Ok, I don't know how I missed the .5 part of the FC but I did. I apologize and I will try and be thorough in the future.

Came home from work tonight and tested. Still at about 38 drops, so FC would be about 19 correct? How can that be after well more than 24 hours? It was pitch black so I couldn't see the pool well, but my wife said it did look somewhat lighter in color.

You are now starting to kill off the algae and you should see improvement everyday. Make sure you are running the filter 24/7 and brushing the entire pool at least once a day. Keep an eye on your filter pressure and clean when needed. Sand filters tend to be a bit slower at clearing up the pool but you will definitely get there if you keep up the steps here at TFP.

Keep the chlorine level at shock level or a little above as much as you can. The longer it stays below shock level, the longer it will take to clear the pool. With your CYA at 40 your FC level should be 40% of that which = 16. A little higher will not hurt your pool as it does not have a liner.

To check your FC make sure you are using 10ml of water and multiply your drops by .5.

Ok so I have brushed the pool 3x today. Backwashed this morning...there was a lot of green in there. Finally saw my FC levels lower a little this afternoon so brought it back up to shock level again. This is taking a while, but I hope that I am on the right track.

Sounds like your on the right track!
Stay the course and you will win!
As was said before don't let the FC fall below your shock level, this was my problem in the summer when working 10hrs a day and coming home to a pool that ate a lot of FC!
Then one of the mods suggested to up my shock level 3 more so I wouldn't EVER fall below my cya/shock level. Guess what? Pool did exactly what it was told to do and cleared up in less than a week on my pool, which is a much smaller pool... but the same water that's in your pool!
I now suffer from Poolsparklyitis!

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.