Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How much Clorox per gallon?

How much Clorox per gallon?

I want to start using clorox in my hot tub this fall.. I only run it in the winter months and then only use it about once maybe twice a week.. how much clorox should I use per gallon and how often does it need to be added? thanks!
    11-yr old screened-in, south facing, 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

Re: How much Clorox per gallon?

Hi and welcome fellow newbie. Please have a read here: http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

Welcome to TFP!

How to User Chlorine in your Tub or Spa is a great place to start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

As previously mentioned Dichlor/Bleach is the method to use. I sanitize my tub with this method for about $2 a month.

A must have to properly use this method is A GOOD test kit like the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100. What you spend on the kit will be recouped in chemical savings within the first year.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

Be sure to use Dichlor initially to build up the CYA level (around a week or two) and then switch over to using bleach. You want to add enough chlorine after your soak such that you measure around 1-2 ppm FC just before your next soak. If you do not have an ozonator, then roughly speaking every person-hour of soaking in a hot (104ºF) tub will require 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 5 fluid ounces of 6% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS) to oxidize your bather waste (the non-chlorine shock would only be for Nature2 systems or for bromine spas). If you have an ozonator, then the amount of chlorine you will need will be higher if you use the tub less frequently (say, once a week) or lower if you use it more frequently (say, every day or two). Your twice a week usage is in-between so it's hard to predict what would happen if you have an ozonator. Read the link Jason referred to. Getting the Total Alkalinity (TA) lower and using 50 ppm Borates are important in order to have stable pH.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I read most of "How to User Chlorine in your Tub or Spa"..then my eyes started bleeding and my mind started wandering.. I got to the part about "if you cant test every day find another method".. and I quit.. well I probably cant test every day.. a lot of the weekends we are away from home.. so.. can you all suggest a really simple method I can use? thanks!!
    11-yr old screened-in, south facing, 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

In practice with some experience of your own a routine will be established. You will test alot the first month while you learn what your tubs needs are. I know my routine and only test once a week.

It's not a problem to leave for the weekend with chlorine. I left out of town this Friday to return Sunday to a tub with a FC of 3 ppm. Just bring the FC up before you leave. In general with no organic load a tub will loose 25% fC a day so it can be left alone for a few days.

You can try Bromine. For me it was more work than Dichlor/Bleach but different people like different sanitizers to suit their situation. Dichlor/Bleach is cheap enough to warant a try IMHO.
    Taylor K-2006

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Be sure to use Dichlor initially to build up the CYA level (around a week or two) and then switch over to using bleach.
    Could one use the proper dosage of granulated CYA in lieu of Dichlor and begin using bleach to chlorinate immediately?
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

I have tried this once and overshot my goal by a bit. It's difficult to know exactly how huch water is in your tub. By keeping track of FC with a good test kit you will know how much CYA is exactly in your tub.
    Taylor K-2006

If you are going to be away from the tub a lot (not just a weekend, but for an entire week or if you don't want to do anything during mid-week), then bromine tabs in a feeder (along with an initial bromide bank) might be a better bet for you. Read Using Bromine In a Spa and see if that suits you better. As was noted above, some people like one approach better than the other.

Note that if you aren't using the tub a lot (i.e. not every day or two), then chlorine works better when there is no ozonator. In a spa with an ozonator that gets infrequent use, you end up using more chlorine since ozone reacts with chlorine. Tubs with ozonators tend to work better with bromine as the ozone creates more bromine from an initial bromide bank.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"