Should I remove chlorine feeder now that I use only bleach?

Sep 28, 2010
Sacramento, CA
My pool came with an automatic chlorine feeder (Hayward brand) that is plumbed between the pump and the filter -- the kind where you put chlorine pucks in and turn the dial to open or closed. I switched to BBB a couple years ago (thanks to this wonderful site!) and have not used pucks since. So the chlorine feeder just sits there in the closed position. I'm wondering if I should remove it or just leave it there? Does it affect the efficiency of the circulation system or anything? Thanks.

Re: Should I remove chlorine feeder now that I use only blea

It obviously hasn't been a bother for the last couple of years it seems, so I'd just leave it there. May come in handy when you're away for a few days and need to "puck" for a bit.

When you go on vacation you may want to use the chlorine pucks again if you have your CYA at the low end of the range. It is quite a luxury to be able to turn it on and walk away. The house sitter still needs to check the water level and clean the skimmers, but at least they don't have to test every day.

Once it starts getting old and starts leaking, then you should go ahead and remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.