AGP With leak in liner

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
Hi folks,

We had our AGP already closed up for the off-season and went on vacation. When we got home, one of our dogs* had dug under the deck so far that it punctured the pool liner and the pool was 1/3 drained. So we removed the winter cover and leaf net and there it sits. It was about due for a liner anyway, so it's not a huge deal, but I am wondering what is the best way to leave it until we can replace the liner?

I thought we should keep the leaf net on so all the gunk doesn't build up on the bottom, but my husband thought it could mess up the walls or rails to do that. We have leaves falling all the time so it's not like all the leaves fall and that's it.

Any suggestions?

edit to add: I'm in FL. Our normal closing is just to shock, add algaecide, and cover. We leave the water level up so we can run it on nights when it may freeze.

* Our neighbor was feeding and checking in on the dogs while we were away. This was never a problem before but we have a new young dog and he obviously got bored.

When the pool is empty the walls are very weak and can be damaged by wind. Having water in the pool makes the pool strong. If you can patch the hole and partially fill it. If you can't do that and it has to stay empty defiantly don't put a cover on of any type. To add some strength to the pool you might be able to get away with letting the pool cover fall to the bottom of the pool and let rain water collect on it, it will offer some support to the pool walls.

I had a similar situation last year and i waited until the water was about knee high and wrapped garbage bags around my legs and went in the pool. Patched the hole and then refilled the pool with water. Patched held and i did not have to replace the liner the following spring.

Thanks for the advice! So far it is draining very slowly so between the slow leak and rain, it has been staying between 1/3 and 1/2 full. I'll soon start calling around to see about getting the liner replaced. Hoping maybe the work will be cheaper during off-season.

Durf,
That is a good idea, but we really are due for a liner. It has been thru 10 seasons. It got all wrinkly around the sides in the past few years, the bottom is full of caverns from settling, another old patch is starting to come off, etc. I think we are going to put down some kind of bottom liner this time. Also want to investigate possibly getting a bottom drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.