Uses for backwash water...

Oct 29, 2011
Not sure if this is the right forum, but thought I'd start here... We have a 14x28 inground, in the NE, Sand filter, Salt generator, heat pump, etc.

Would water from backwashing be useable for watering plants? I understand there will be chemicals to some extent in the water, but wanted to get pros/cons, done this/don't do, that feedback.

My thought was to pump it into a rain barrel and use for general watering of flowers, etc. I imagine the rain barrel would need to be cleaned seasonally for sediment, sand, etc...

Thoughts?

Mark

Welcome to TFP!

In almost all cases pool water is fine for watering plants. There are two major exceptions. First, if you are growing special extra delicate plants, if you are you will know, then pool water isn't always a great idea. Second if you are in a very arid area, with almost no rainfall, salt from the pool water can build up in the soil eventually causing problems. Still, in the great majority of the country and with the great majority of plants using pool water to water plants (or your lawn) is just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.