Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing for first time - question about blowing out lines

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing for first time - question about blowing out lines

Hey all,

I've been following the Pool School instructions for closing an inground pool. I've shocked it, added PolyQuat, drained water below the returns and now I need to blow out the lines to add antifreeze and seal them up. I have a shopvac to blow the lines and I just tried it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Am I supposed to put the blower into the hole just beneath the skimmer basket? I tried doing that and the water just blew right up in my face so it got me thinking - that pipe is connected to the pump/filter so I would be blowing air towards to pump/filter and not the returns, right? I'm assuming that's not the right way to do it, so how do I blow air away from the pump/filter and into the return lines? Any help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing for first time - question about blowing out line

Also, there is another hole under the skimmer basket but it is currently plugged up with a black plug. I tried removing it but it's pretty jammed in there... if that's the hole I need to blow out of then I'll figure out some way to get it out!

3. Back To Top    #3

Any help today? Supposed to get to freezing temperatures overnight tonight! :-/

4. Back To Top    #4

Leave that hole plugged. It's an auxiliary port.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you got wet when trying to blow the skimmer as long as you were in the right hole (the open hole) and you got squirted with a flush of water after blowing with the shop vac for a few seconds; then you might of just built up pressure before the water had a chance to exit near the pump. This happens if you don't blow the line for long enough.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp