OH error code

Jun 29, 2010
Our Jacuzzi J350 is about 8 years old, is under truss on the patio & has a spa cover. The last couple of days when we checked it we have found it off & the circuit breaker tripped. When I reset the breaker the dreaded OH error code is shown. When I shut the breaker off & on again then the display is normal. I have seen the temp gauge go downward reading the current temp but a it may immediately shoot up to 112-114 then pop the breaker. (Of course the water can´t be that hot with the power off for a day. :) ) Upon reset OH is shown once again.

I can turn on the Jacuzzi & it will power on the pumps, lights, heater, etc. but it has to be just after resetting the breaker, usually twice.
It has gone through 2 of the 20 minute cycles but will trip the breaker again.

We did a drain & fill 4 weeks ago but haven´t used it in 2 weeks & at that time it was working great.

Can somebody tell me what to look for in regards to the OH error.
I pulled the side panels off & don´t see any leaks, the floor around it isn´t wet, etc.
I did see that the ozonator indicator is off. Could my problem be caused by the ozonator?

Thanks for any help and suggestions,

Try disconnecting the ozonator. If the breaker stops tripping, replace it. If the breaker trips again, disconnect the heater element (caution HIGH VOLTAGE) and try it again. If that fails, disconnect the Hi Limit and check it's continuity (closed=good). If it still trips, it's likely to be the board.

Scott

It may be an issue with water flow to your heater. Errors like this often come from a temp sensor on the heater itself rather than in the water.

Open the access panel, turn on the tub and get the heat to come on. Pay attention to the heater and any noises you might hear coming from it. If it starts to make any strange popping/cracking/bubbling noises then it's not getting adequate water. Clean your filters, check to be sure the circ pump isn't air locked and that the return for it isn't obstructed.

PoolGuyNJ, I disconnected the ozonator & the breaker tripped. I then disconnected the heater & the breaker tripped again. If you can tell me where the HI limit switch is located I will test it & report back.

Spishex, I can´t get past the circuit breaker tripping long enough to check any pumps or noises.
When I reset the breaker & turn it on then it immediately trips once again. When I did get it to stay on (only twice) both pumps & the heater worked.

Thanks again for the help,

You'll need to try the other components to rule out the circuit board, so try disconnecting the pumps, light and anything else. Could be that the circ pump has gone out, which would have given you heater problems up front and breaker tripping later.

Sorry for the late post. I did unhook everything from the mobo & tried plugging in items one by one to troubleshoot. It appeared to be the sensor harness as that is what tripped the breaker. I plugged everything in once again, without the sensor harness plugged in & the breaker tripped again.
So with me being Stumped big time, I called an electrician friend over to help out. When he gets here & we get it figured out & fixed I will post back with the results.

Have you tried running it with just the heater disconnected? If it's 230v you may be getting 115v through your topside control/flow switch and then the other 115v through the high limit circuit. That would cause it to trip when either circuit was closed.

i had the same problem...i had used a clarifier meant for swimming pools, super concentrated..it clogged everything up, and when i reset the breaker, it would work to a certain point, trip the breaker, and i would have error messages, either oh or --...when i got new filters and had used a product that runs through the plumbing and cleaned it out (warm water), it's worked fine..i guess when the flow of water was restricted, a safety feature kicks in, or it would just overheat...(i could circumvent this by removing the filter untl i got in, but eventually it did it without the filter)....good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I apologize for this late reply, but.. the heater shorted out & ruined the circuit board. Also the circulating pump was bad. All these were replaced in January. The spa repair company also gave us a new ozonator.
I drained & refilled the tub so we started out with everything fresh.
Everything has been working ok but we have had a leak that I couldn't at first locate.

It appears there is a sensor wire inside a hose that is probably mounted at the bottom one of the filters & it looks like the hose is glued to the filter housing.
Is there a sensor located there & how in the blue blazes do I change it out.???

I tried posting pictures but they are too large so I am trying photobucket.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o553/09lancer/

Thanks for any help and/or tips.

Does anybody have an idea on what I can do to stop this leak? I am having to use a suction pump every other day to get the water out of the base of the tub.

Since I can't see down there, hopefully we don't have any mildew or mold growing in that area.

I sure would appreciate any tips or help.

if you can find the leak, oatey makes an all purpose boding putty that you knead together and put over the leak....i used it on some pvc pipe that i had plumbed into my pool equipment that leaked, didn't want to recut it and do it again, and the stuff worked great..i imagine if it's just a small leak you could force the stuff in there, (you might have to drain the tub), and if it's a pipe this stuff is made just for that...it's oatey fix a stick...you said you can't see the leak...does this mean you haven't taken the sides off the tub?...most everything is accessible if the sides are off the tub...good luck

Thanks for the reply jpg11124. I do have the sides off & found the leak.
The leak is coming out of a tube that has a wire going through to what I am guessing is the dual filter housing. I think the wire leads to a sensor as the other end goes over to the control panel.
I thought about gluing up the end of the tube but wanted somebody else that knows more about hot tubs to let me know that is an OK thing to do.
Although a very small leak, it is enough that I have to suction out the water from the base every other day.
I have pics posted on photobucket, please see my previous posts for the link.

that stuff i mentioned will plug any leak, be assured...if there' a wire going up it i don't know..but a leak's a leak and that stuff'll stop it

i just looked at the picture and i'm sure as you've sumrised plugging the end ofthe tube isn't going to stop the leak...if it's possible to follow the conduit and find where the wire is going into whatever, then seal it there...if it means ripping off the insulaton, you can alwys replace it with that spray foam insulation found at hardware stores

I did pull off the insulation & found that tube goes into the filter housing. And there is a sensor on the inside of the filter housing. My owners manual doesn't tell me which sensor it is, but I guess when I drain the tub next time I can pull the sensor out to see what it does. Unless somebody here knows what sensor it is so I can get one ahead of time?

When we did our drain & fill I pulled out the sensor from the filter housing. I think it is a temp sensor. Anyway I replaced the gasket (larger than a hose bib gasket) & used teflon thread tape on the threads. So far my leak has not returned.
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm sorry I did not post my fix earlier but my memory isn't what it used to be.
Thanks again...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.