Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing chemistry advice with suspect pH reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing chemistry advice with suspect pH reading

Tried to figure this out by searching other posts but I'm a neurotic newbie and need reassurance! I was following the TFP closing plan but goofed. 5 days before our scheduled close date I tested; based on results I added acid and calcium but then I messed up by adding (at the same time) chlorine to bring it up to shock level, before I retested the pH. So when I tested again, pH still showed high, then I realized that the pH reading was not going to be valid until after the chlorine came down. So, I rescheduled the pool guy to move our close date out another 10 days. It's been very rainy and cloudy here, so the chlorine levels have been dropping very slowly. Was 17 on 10/17, now 5 on 10/29. Here are my full test results today including pH which I'm not sure I should rely on:

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    TC: 5
    pH: 7.8
    T/A: 50
    CH: 420
    CYA: 40
    Temp: 57

So assuming it actually is pH of 7.8, the pool calculator returns a CSI of -0.11, well within range, but everything I read says bring pH down closer to 7.4 before closing. So am I okay? Closing is scheduled for 10/31. Any advice on recommended chemistry adjustments would be appreciated.
    14,000 gal. in-ground white plaster, 24" Crystal Flo Sand Filter, automatic cleaner, Laars Lite 2 400K BTU Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing chemistry advice with suspect pH reading

If the water is circulating, I'd trust your readings. Dropping pH from 7.8 to 7.4 should be easy, just add whatever amount of acid pool calculator says and be done with it. You have knowledge, you have a test kit, you have this forum, so whatever you find when you reopen will be easily remedied.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Closing chemistry advice with suspect pH reading

Thanks very much. You're right, I should be able to deal with anything upon opening. I'm just trying to have a repeat of last year (my first) when the pool guys took off the cover and said they'd never seen such clear water upon opening!
    14,000 gal. in-ground white plaster, 24" Crystal Flo Sand Filter, automatic cleaner, Laars Lite 2 400K BTU Heater