Hayward 244 sand filter lateral housing plug hole?

sdynak

Jul 12, 2011
So I was getting a little sand in my returns this summer which made me check my internals on my Hayward 244 sand filter. I believe it is a 244 as the labels are completely faded and unreadable. It was here when I moved in 10 years ago so it is pretty old.

What I noticed first of all is the main pipe was broke down by the lateral housing but when I removed all the laterals and housing I noticed what apprears to be a small like 3/8 plug hole on the top of the housing that goes directly onto the internal of that housing area. There is a small hole on the side that appears to be where you would put a pin in there to hold the plug in.

Question is is this supposed to be closed? I would think so as with the plug missing it would seem to me that that would also be a good source for sand to enter as well.

If you are familiar with this and what I'm talking about I would appreciate to hear your thoughts on this and what I can replace my tube with. I am selling my house in 2 weeks and don't want to leave things this way.

Thanks as always..
Stan

That sounds like either the hole for the air tube that should go up to a hole in the tank top fitting, or the hole for the screw that holds the air tube in place. It isn't totally clear, but you can mostly see what I am talking about here, parts 12 and 13.

Thanks Jason.. Threw me off since all the diagrams I looked at were the top valve model. Believe mine is a T. Since mine is a top mount and all the diagrams don't show that small pipe and there is no sign if it inside I'm thinking it should be plugged in my model? I assume it was either changed at some point and the wrong manifold was installed now for a side mount or it is universal and plugged on a top mount application. Not sure.. Wish I had the history on this guy. I have only replaced the main o-ring in the valve itself. Good thing is the stand pipe is standard 1.5in PVC so easy to get anywhere.

The original pipe was not a standard type PVC found in home stores and was very thin but standard PVC fits in it.. It is Hayward just very old. I recall a date on my pump when I moved in saying 1982.. The multi port valve is definitely Hayward. The label has deteriorated over the years unfortunately but I ordered a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.