SNOW! And I havent closed yet!

dlduvall

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
West Virginia
Okay, I havent closed my inground pool yet, and the weatherman says 3-6" of snow tomorrow! :shock: Wasnt planning on closing until next weekend when both DH and I are off work. Whats my best course of action? DH says we need to drain some, but I think leave it alone and just let the pump run all night. What do you guys think?

Unless you are expected to have a hard freeze for the next few days I would just run the pump. If overflow is a problem in your yard maybe drain down a couple of inches but not enough for the pump to lose prime. Its not any different than prepping for 2-3" of rain. The snow will melt when it hits the water.

Thanks Zea3! Thats what I thought also. Its supposed to hit 50 degrees the next few days, this is supposed to be a quick hit-and-run storm. The snow should quickly go away. Just makes for cold football games tomorrow!

Central PA here - Last night it was 34F prior to going to bed. My filter was on high speed (2spd hayward) and was clicking on/off. Frost protection would not allow high speed and would only run on low. Still havent figured it out. Just need to get my new pool closed as soon as safety winter cover gets here. Brrrr!

Something tells me in a few hours I may have a great Christmas card picture:

photobucket-4262-1319910626567.jpg

Mega snow here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. We haven't closed yet, either, though we did take out the steps yesterday. I'm running the pump on low speed and will do the rest of the winterizing process tomorrow.

Running the pump and so far everything's good. Amazingly the water was still at 57 degrees when I checked on it a little while ago! Wish my trees had fared as good...heavy snow took out some big chunks of my Bradford Pears. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.