Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: SNOW! And I havent closed yet!

SNOW! And I havent closed yet!

Okay, I havent closed my inground pool yet, and the weatherman says 3-6" of snow tomorrow! Wasnt planning on closing until next weekend when both DH and I are off work. Whats my best course of action? DH says we need to drain some, but I think leave it alone and just let the pump run all night. What do you guys think?
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

Re: SNOW! And I havent closed yet!

Unless you are expected to have a hard freeze for the next few days I would just run the pump. If overflow is a problem in your yard maybe drain down a couple of inches but not enough for the pump to lose prime. Its not any different than prepping for 2-3" of rain. The snow will melt when it hits the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Thanks Zea3! Thats what I thought also. Its supposed to hit 50 degrees the next few days, this is supposed to be a quick hit-and-run storm. The snow should quickly go away. Just makes for cold football games tomorrow!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.

Central PA here - Last night it was 34F prior to going to bed. My filter was on high speed (2spd hayward) and was clicking on/off. Frost protection would not allow high speed and would only run on low. Still havent figured it out. Just need to get my new pool closed as soon as safety winter cover gets here. Brrrr!

Something tells me in a few hours I may have a great Christmas card picture:

Mega snow here in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. We haven't closed yet, either, though we did take out the steps yesterday. I'm running the pump on low speed and will do the rest of the winterizing process tomorrow.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

Running the pump and so far everything's good. Amazingly the water was still at 57 degrees when I checked on it a little while ago! Wish my trees had fared as good...heavy snow took out some big chunks of my Bradford Pears.
    WV Girl

There is no reason not to close even though the cover isn't in yet. Tell the installer, if you're getting a free closing with the cover you'd like to winterize now.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.