Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unique Pool - Closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Unique Pool - Closing

I have a unique pool. It appears to be an above ground pool, sunken into the ground, so its more like an inground pool. Around the pool is a deck (my whole back yard) and below the deck is a wood frame and dirt surrounding the whole pool. All of my pipes are under ground. So it is essentially an inground pool (but what do i know!!) Do I need air pillows for my pool in order to close? I need to figure this out asap because I have pool closers coming on Saturday and I dont have any right now! Any help would be much appreciated!
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unique Pool - Closing

Hi, welcome to TFP!
    I think it depends on how you are attaching the winter cover. Do you have a picture of the pool you can post?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I am glad this is around and will likely use the website quite a bit next year when its opened again!

I dont have a pic handy, but the cover is a black tarp that will be held on by water bags. The pool is set up like an inground pool, but instead of concrete, there is composite deck all the way around.

I bought the house recently, so this is my first rodeo!
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

If closers are coming I'd think they'd have what is needed, or they are ill prepared or failed to tell you to get them.

Read up hear & you can do all this stuff yourself if you wish next year.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all your help. I just want to know if I need it or not. I dont want these guys telling me I need something that i really dont.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi all, I have attached a picture to show how the deck meets the pool (20 x 40). Now does anyone else have any opinions/thoughts on whether I need air pillows? Also how many would I need for a pool of this size?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You don't need an air pillow, you essentially have an in-ground pool. Regardless air pillows aren't needed in above grounds either. They won't explode if you use don't use an pillow. Remember the air pillow is filled with air so maybe an inch at the most is actually submerged in the water upon freezing. I've seen an above ground pool lose it's winter cover on a windy day and the pillow came off with it, so how much expansion is it truly absorbing? Most above ground pools are designed to be very strong at holding water pressure as an outward force, but if you were to drain that pool you could easily kick the pool wall in from the outside.

Back to your original question, no you don't need a pillow, but you might want to pick up a cover pump or even an automatic cover pump (i.e. Rule) to keep excess water off the cover before and after winter.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp