Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Best location to place my Jandy check valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Best location to place my Jandy check valve

My elevated spa is draining back into my pool. It appears to be happening through the return jets. I was told to install a check valve so I am going to DIY it. I could use some expert advice on the best location for it and attached the photo. I read that Jandy check valves prefer a 18" column on water behind the valve, but I don't have that in my plumbing. Would vertical placement be best for my setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Best location to place my Jandy check valve

The horizontal piece just before the returns would be a good place for the check valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I see what appears to be a check valve in that picture, under the left hand three way valve on the right side there is what looks like a T junction with one end capped. That looks like it could be a check valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The photo hides a stop valve located under the return plumbing pipe next to the check valve. Now here is the weird thing. If I put both diverters to close the pool side, the spa does not drain. If I close the spa side, it empties. Could it be a bad Jandy diverter instead of the need for a check valve on the return. I have confirmed it is draining from the return jets.

5. Back To Top    #5

There might be a stop preventing the valve from completely turning off the spa. This is often done so that the spa overflows into the pool constantly (even when in "pool only" mode).

That check valve looks like it opens up so you can clean out debris. If possible, you should open it up and make sure that there is nothing blocking the flap and that all of the parts are intact. Of course it is likely to let a lot of water out when you open it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School