Help! Best location to place my Jandy check valve

G

My elevated spa is draining back into my pool. It appears to be happening through the return jets. I was told to install a check valve so I am going to DIY it. I could use some expert advice on the best location for it and attached the photo. I read that Jandy check valves prefer a 18" column on water behind the valve, but I don't have that in my plumbing. Would vertical placement be best for my setup?

Attachments

• Pool plumbing.jpg
    Pool plumbing.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 97
I see what appears to be a check valve in that picture, under the left hand three way valve on the right side there is what looks like a T junction with one end capped. That looks like it could be a check valve.

The photo hides a stop valve located under the return plumbing pipe next to the check valve. Now here is the weird thing. If I put both diverters to close the pool side, the spa does not drain. If I close the spa side, it empties. Could it be a bad Jandy diverter instead of the need for a check valve on the return. I have confirmed it is draining from the return jets.

There might be a stop preventing the valve from completely turning off the spa. This is often done so that the spa overflows into the pool constantly (even when in "pool only" mode).

That check valve looks like it opens up so you can clean out debris. If possible, you should open it up and make sure that there is nothing blocking the flap and that all of the parts are intact. Of course it is likely to let a lot of water out when you open it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.