Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Timer

I'm getting a 21' round agp. It's coming with a 2 speed 2hp pump and sand filter. I will probably use a robot, but don't know which one, yet. Will the PF1103T be good enough for my needs? Pretty sure I will only need to control the pump.

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2
    A simple timer/freeze protector is fine for a straight forward pool. If you know you are going with a 240v pump I would get the PF1102T.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is 110v.
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kmb997
    The pump is 110v.
    Are you sure?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have the pump, but the pool store says it is a regular 110 plug.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Isn't a 2hp too big for the 21' round. I get roughly 11400 at 4' deep. Also, why would you need a 2 sp pump if you are getting a robot? Does your above ground have water features?

I hope I do not confuse you, but I am trying to get understand sizing systems as well.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

7. Back To Top    #7
    One thing to keep in mind is that pump ratings are rather variable. Some 2 HP pumps are larger than others. I suspect that a 2 HP pump that plugs into a standard outlet is not going to be nearly as large as the 2 HP full rated pumps that many of us are more familiar with. The number that really matters is the brake HP, which is the rated HP times the service factor (SF). SF varies from pump to pump, so only knowing the listed HP doesn't tell you all that much.

Even with all that, it probably is too large a pump on high speed. But it is much more reasonable on low speed. kmb997 would save electricity with a smaller pump, but with a two speed that isn't nearly as big an issue as it would be with a single speed pump. Having a two speed pump helps dramatically in almost every situation. Low speed is good for filtering while saving electricity and high speed is still available for vacuuming and other special occasions. Getting a cleaning robot doesn't automatically mean that there will never be a need for manual vacuuming or some other situation which calls for high speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I see some stores selling the PF1103T with a digital timer and some with a mechanical. Is one preferred over the other? Is 32F the lowest setting available on Intermatic timers?

Thanks