LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I'm having a Halloween party in a few days and am planning on having guests bob for apples out of a tub. The tap water here has 1.5ppm FC. This doesn't seem like enough to kill germs fast enough to prevent them from spreading from guest to guest. What would be a safe FC that would kill germs within a reasonable amount of time and not give the guests a free facial chemical dermabrasion.

I realize this is a little out of the realm of the typical sized body of water discussed here. I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

Given that you have zero CYA and the short time in the tub, 1.5 ppm FC is plenty to kill anything that might get introduced. You could add a few tablespoons of bleach to the tub if you're doing it in the middle of the day out in the sun, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Just a guess, but I imagine your guests will be "bobbing" with only their faces submerged. (At least, I certainly hope so) :shock: :shock:

I don't think you have quite the exposure to germs, etc. that might be found in a pool.

Tap water is likely perfectly sufficient but a tablespoon or so of bleach might give you more reassurance and would be undetectable if you put it in a few hours before.
Party on, masqueraders! :party:

Lershac said:
What Hp pump and what size filter on this apple tub? Sand, cartridge or DE?

I suppose I could hook up the Hayward pump and sand filter to the tub. That will change out the full 20 gallons every minute. I just hope no one's hair gets sucked into the intake. :lol:

Seriously though, I think I just add a teaspoon at a time until I get to around 5ppm. Isn't the upper limit allowed in public pools, 7ppm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Just a guess, but I imagine your guests will be "bobbing" with only their faces submerged. (At least, I certainly hope so) :shock: :shock:

I don't think you have quite the exposure to germs, etc. that might be found in a pool.

Tap water is likely perfectly sufficient but a tablespoon or so of bleach might give you more reassurance and would be undetectable if you put it in a few hours before.
Party on, masqueraders! :party:

It's actually double birthday and Halloween themed party with about 40-60 3rd graders. The fear is everyone getting sick from one person. It's amazing how anal parents are these days. No one would have even worried about this when I was a kid. I just want to be able to kill anything in about 30-60 seconds.

Note that the chlorine is going to get used up faster than you'd think because of the apples in the tub, let alone the saliva and skin oils from the bobbers. As was noted by others, the risk will not be from fecal bacteria, but mostly from viruses and/or bacteria in saliva and mucous. Just maintain 1 ppm FC minimum at all times, so you'll have to monitor periodically and probably overshoot quite a bit to handle the chlorine demand. For such short exposures, having the chlorine level far higher should not be a problem. If you want to slow down the chlorine loss rate, but also slow down the kill times, then you could use Dichlor or granulated Trichlor. That way, you won't have to be monitoring the water as often as the chlorine will last longer while still providing 99.9% kill times in the 1 minute range. Then again, if you want the very fastest kill times, then just add chlorine bleach every now and then as needed.

On the other hand, this isn't really that much different than a classroom of little kids playing together at school where it's very common for one kid to infect a whole bunch of others with some virus.

chem geek said:
Note that the chlorine is going to get used up faster than you'd think because of the apples in the tub, let alone the saliva and skin oils from the bobbers. As was noted by others, the risk will not be from fecal bacteria,

Don't bet on it!

Or, at the very least, don't let the dog play. If they stick their snouts in the tub . . . well, do you know where that tongue has been?

In all seriousness, are there really parents who worry about germs when bobbing for apples? Their kids live in a bubble? Sheesh!

Now health chiefs ban bobbing for apples in case germs are spread... youngsters told to use CHOPSTICKS!

The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (UK) said there was no reason apple bobbing should be cancelled on health and safety grounds.

Ophthalmologist Parwez Hossain said three people were admitted to the hospital with apple bobbing injuries last year.

He added: ‘Casualty staff have seen children and adults turning up on Halloween with scratches on the cornea and eye injuries from impacts caused by apple bobbing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stead.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.