Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Apple Bobbing / Germs

1. Back To Top    #1

Apple Bobbing / Germs

So I'm having a Halloween party in a few days and am planning on having guests bob for apples out of a tub. The tap water here has 1.5ppm FC. This doesn't seem like enough to kill germs fast enough to prevent them from spreading from guest to guest. What would be a safe FC that would kill germs within a reasonable amount of time and not give the guests a free facial chemical dermabrasion.

I realize this is a little out of the realm of the typical sized body of water discussed here. I'm hoping someone might have an idea.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Apple Bobbing / Germs

I'm not sure, but I am willing to guess that this is a question that has never before been asked on our forum.

3. Back To Top    #3

Given that you have zero CYA and the short time in the tub, 1.5 ppm FC is plenty to kill anything that might get introduced. You could add a few tablespoons of bleach to the tub if you're doing it in the middle of the day out in the sun, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What Hp pump and what size filter on this apple tub? Sand, cartridge or DE?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

5. Back To Top    #5

One method used by homebrewers to sanitize their equipment is to mix 1 oz. of bleach with 5 gal of water, then add in 1 oz. of white vinegar.

I've done it before, but I can't speak to the chemistry, or the taste. Something to think about.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Just a guess, but I imagine your guests will be "bobbing" with only their faces submerged. (At least, I certainly hope so)

I don't think you have quite the exposure to germs, etc. that might be found in a pool.

Tap water is likely perfectly sufficient but a tablespoon or so of bleach might give you more reassurance and would be undetectable if you put it in a few hours before.
    Party on, masqueraders!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Just a guess, but I imagine your guests will be "bobbing" with only their faces submerged. (At least, I certainly hope so)
    If you use your whole body I think it's technically "Roberting" for apples.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Replace the water with Listerine! Fresh Breath for everyone!
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    I suppose I could hook up the Hayward pump and sand filter to the tub. That will change out the full 20 gallons every minute. I just hope no one's hair gets sucked into the intake.

Seriously though, I think I just add a teaspoon at a time until I get to around 5ppm. Isn't the upper limit allowed in public pools, 7ppm?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

I don't think you have quite the exposure to germs, etc. that might be found in a pool.

Tap water is likely perfectly sufficient but a tablespoon or so of bleach might give you more reassurance and would be undetectable if you put it in a few hours before.
    Party on, masqueraders!
    It's actually double birthday and Halloween themed party with about 40-60 3rd graders. The fear is everyone getting sick from one person. It's amazing how anal parents are these days. No one would have even worried about this when I was a kid. I just want to be able to kill anything in about 30-60 seconds.

12. Back To Top    #12

Does anyone know if the PoolCalculator is accurate down at 10-20 gallons? Jason?

13. Back To Top    #13

yes it is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Note that the chlorine is going to get used up faster than you'd think because of the apples in the tub, let alone the saliva and skin oils from the bobbers. As was noted by others, the risk will not be from fecal bacteria, but mostly from viruses and/or bacteria in saliva and mucous. Just maintain 1 ppm FC minimum at all times, so you'll have to monitor periodically and probably overshoot quite a bit to handle the chlorine demand. For such short exposures, having the chlorine level far higher should not be a problem. If you want to slow down the chlorine loss rate, but also slow down the kill times, then you could use Dichlor or granulated Trichlor. That way, you won't have to be monitoring the water as often as the chlorine will last longer while still providing 99.9% kill times in the 1 minute range. Then again, if you want the very fastest kill times, then just add chlorine bleach every now and then as needed.

On the other hand, this isn't really that much different than a classroom of little kids playing together at school where it's very common for one kid to infect a whole bunch of others with some virus.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Note that the chlorine is going to get used up faster than you'd think because of the apples in the tub, let alone the saliva and skin oils from the bobbers. As was noted by others, the risk will not be from fecal bacteria,

Don't bet on it!

Or, at the very least, don't let the dog play. If they stick their snouts in the tub . . . well, do you know where that tongue has been?

In all seriousness, are there really parents who worry about germs when bobbing for apples? Their kids live in a bubble? Sheesh!
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

16. Back To Top    #16

Now health chiefs ban bobbing for apples in case germs are spread... youngsters told to use CHOPSTICKS!

The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (UK) said there was no reason apple bobbing should be cancelled on health and safety grounds.

Ophthalmologist Parwez Hossain said three people were admitted to the hospital with apple bobbing injuries last year.

He added: ‘Casualty staff have seen children and adults turning up on Halloween with scratches on the cornea and eye injuries from impacts caused by apple bobbing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stead.html