Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine and Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine and Salt

I am in the process of putting together a liquid chlorine feeder for my pool and I wanted to get clear about something...

When I add a gallon of 6% bleach to my water, it will raise the FC by 2.1 and the salt by 3.4. Now this is something I could be doing sometimes on a daily basis. So my question is: though the FC essentially completely leaves the water, the salt remains to accumulate. Is this not a much slower version of the CYA situation? The salt will build up over time without draining ?

So if you can taste 2000 ppm of salt, you will notice this buildup after about 600 gallons of bleach? (minus whatever salt is in the water to start with?)
    Seems like a 4-5 year cycle..??

Is this right?
    Austin, Texas
    30,000 gallon Gunite/Pebble
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP 520 Cartridge 150GPM
    Pentair Whisperflo WF-28 2HP Pump
    Delzone Eclipse 4 Ozone Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Califorina

Re: Liquid Chlorine and Salt

Most forms of chlorine will either add salt or calcium.

Most people have to drain/refill due to high calcium long before salt is a concern.

Most people like the effects of salt levels around 2000 ppm. Taste is subjective but the salt will incease so slowly you will likely not even notice it.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Liquid Chlorine and Salt

You are basically correct that it takes years for the salt level to build up, assuming no water dilution, and that at some point a partial drain/refill would be needed. This is far longer than would occur with a CH rise from Cal-Hypo (or from evaporation and refill of high CH water) or from a CYA rise from Trichlor or Dichlor. Also, with backwashing/cleaning of the filter and water overflow from summer or winter rains, one usually has dilution of the pool water on a regular basis. In my own pool, I use winter rains to dilute the salt increase from chlorine and Muriatic Acid by roughly 50% each year so I keep the salt level in check at under 1000 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"