Limp multiport handle

Aug 30, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Sorry, I hate to use the work "limp", but not sure how else to describe it. Replaced the spider gasket last week. When I bolted the multiport valve back on and tightened everything up, I noticed that the handle has some play in it. By play I mean it moves up and down freely, but when it actually contacts the valve it will still push it down and rotate around as it should. Before I replaced the gasket I do not believe it did this.

As far as I can tell the filter works as it should, but I have barely run it. I just want to see if this is normal before I try and run it for any length of time.

Thanks.

mine did this also - while it might be the spring, it wound up being a chewed up o-ring on the handle assembly. I took it to my pool store, and they fixed it for the cost of the o-ring... about $2.

Here is a sample parts diagram (Page 6 of the manual in the link below). If the spring is worn out, then the handle can seem loose. If you left out a washer, such as # 3 or # 6, then the handle can seem loose. You should replace the O-rings and lubricate all rubber O-rings and gaskets with a silicone lube such as Magic Lube II.

Your multiport should have a model number that you can use to look up the exact parts diagram.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Sta-Rit ... alveOM.pdf

Thanks everyone. So my question now is wwill the valve still work as it is, or do I need to tear it down and investigate? It seems like the valve closes, just the handle isn't being pushed upward. Or is the valve appearing to close, but not closing fully? I appreciate the help.

If it's not leaking anywhere (waste port, bypassing, etc) and it's sending all the water correctly through the water path, I wouldn't worry about tearing it down again. It could be that the new gasket is not compressed completely yet and may settle over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.