Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: After 12 days my water is still cloudy

After 12 days my water is still cloudy

I have been keeping my pool at 20 FC the last 12 days and am still dealing with cloudy water. here are my test results:

FC 20 CC 1
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 70
    CH - 500
    CYA - 70
    OCLT - 3 PPM
    Sand filter
    [attachment=2:1ylimtiy]DSC_5783.JPG[/attachment:1ylimtiy]

[attachment=1:1ylimtiy]DSC_5792.JPG[/attachment:1ylimtiy]

[attachment=0:1ylimtiy]DSC_5811.JPG[/attachment:1ylimtiy]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

Re: After 12 days my water is still cloudy

Looks like progress is being made! Since you're still losing a bunch of FC overnight,you need to keep at it! Are you sure there's not a bunch of goo at the bottom?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Make sure there isn't anything sitting on the bottom of the pool. You might also try bumping up the FC to about 28ppm for a 40% of your CYA value. I get this value from the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. Make sure FC stays at that level as much as possible. Also, keep the filter running 24/7 if it isn't already doing that. The real experts should be around soon.

I see one did post before I did. [End edit]
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

The pool is gunk free and I am still scrubbing daily. Yesterday we purchased a new suction pool cleaner as our old one was way worn out. We got a Baracuda MX8 is South Africa for about $220 (Finally found something cheaper than in the USA. Bumping the Chlorine up to 28 PPM.
    16,000 gallon pool, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, solar panels, In Ground Plaster with SWG. Living in the southern hemisphere in the "cold" part of Africa in Lesotho.

Just be patient. Brush a lot, run the filter 24/7, and do your best to keep that FC up. You'll get there.
    TFP Moderator
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Look in the sand filter and check the sand quality. You better wear a body condom when you do this (or wear gloves). Replace the sand and then floc or just replace the water. Any other suggestions?

Using floc or replacing the sand is not something often recommended here on the forum. That said, removing the top of the filter and inspecting/cleaning the sand is probably a good idea once each year or so. If it has not been done for a while, i would do it.

Flocculant seems to have very mixed results. Most users report little or no improvement. A few however, report it absolutely did the trick. I would consider floc only after I had exhausted all other possibilities.

Have you seen gradual improvement over the past few days or does the clarity of the water seem stationary?
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

I wouldn't even consider any other treatment (like floc) until you stop losing FC overnight. That is a clear sign that you need to keep shocking! Checking the sand won't hurt, but I expect that it will be fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

I have checked the sand twice since starting to shock. I buy my bleach in South Africa and have to travel a long ways to get it. I have used 33 gallons of 15% bleach and I have 6 gallons left. I am a little worried now that I am going to run out of bleach. We will see how the next few days go. I am still noticing a little improvement (at least I think I am). Hoping to wake up tomorrow with some more improvement.

I would get some more bleach so I would not be concerned about running out. Shock value for a CYA of 70 is up around 28 so only running 20ppm has probably slowed your progress somewhat. Sounds like you have everything on the right trick but are not quite holding your FC high enough.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Started shocking on October 14th and today we passed the overnight test and the pool is crystal clear. We ended up using 200 liters of 15% bleach. Now just a few pump problems to figure out and we are ready for the summer. Thanks for the help.

Yikes! That's 53 gallons of 15% chlorinating liquid for a 16,000 gallon pool. At $3.80 per gallon in U.S. dollars that's a little over $200. You had written that replacing the water would have cost $360 so I suppose this worked out better, but it still was more than usual. I wonder what was continuing to consume chlorine for so long and why the filter wasn't clearing the pool faster. We sometimes suggest adding some DE to a sand filter for finer filtration and faster clearing and in rare cases a clarifier or flocculant.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Not sure what was taking so long. I had all of the solids out of the pol within the first day or two. Wont be long till we are swimming now.

Congratulations. Hope you have a great swim season.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, SWCG CPSC48, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida

My problem is almost exactly like this -- I will create my own post, though. Mine also is taking forever to clear. I don't have pictures, but mine looks like this too.
    TF-100 test kit. 24' round AG w/main drain, 15000 gal, 3/4 hp Jandy pump runs 24/7, 30" Hayward sand filter, puck chlorinator. LP gas heater, oversized. Liquid chlorine to shock. Pool is not at our main residence, can't check it every day. Short swim season! Pool doesn't freeze in winter, water gets down to 42 degrees.

[center:1rlztl0d]
    Quote Originally Posted by dhulls
    I have been keeping my pool at 20 FC the last 12 days and am still dealing with cloudy water. here are my test results:
    Quote Originally Posted by dhulls
    Started shocking on October 14th and today we passed the overnight test and the pool is crystal clear. We ended up using 200 liters of 15% bleach. Now just a few pump problems to figure out and we are ready for the summer. Thanks for the help.
    [/center:1rlztl0d]

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Just be patient. Brush a lot, run the filter 24/7, and do your best to keep that FC up. You'll get there.
    I'm sorry, but 12 days.... 30 days.... that seems a bit excessive.

If we are measuring constantly, maintaining proper shock levels, keeping our chemistry in balance..... doing everything right...

Should it take this long?
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)