Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Winterizing in Yuma, AZ"

1. Back To Top    #1

"Winterizing in Yuma, AZ"

OK ... I've read all about closing a IG gunite pool and am still confused. This 15x30 IG gunite pool (my daughter's) will not really be "closed;" it simply will not be usedf for 6 months due to maxium low water temp in Yuma (mid-40s night - daytime temp 70+). Here is my plan:

1. Clean
    2. Clear plastic sheet over pool to keep leaves out
    3. Maintain normal (3+) FC
    4. Maintain normal pH (7.4)
    5. Run pump 2 hours per day.

Comments on my plan and any help would be appreciated (shock? alage? continue with chlorine tabs? other chemicals? etc. etc,etc.)

Thanks.
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Winterizing in Yuma, AZ"

Quote Originally Posted by jwgillis
    OK ... I've read all about closing a IG gunite pool and am still confused. This 15x30 IG gunite pool (my daughter's) will not really be "closed;" it simply will not be usedf for 6 months due to maxium low water temp in Yuma (mid-40s night - daytime temp 70+). Here is my plan:

1. Clean
    2. Clear plastic sheet over pool to keep leaves out
    3. Maintain normal (3+) FC
    4. Maintain normal pH (7.4)
    5. Run pump 2 hours per day.

Comments on my plan and any help would be appreciated (shock? alage? continue with chlorine tabs? other chemicals? etc. etc,etc.)

Thanks.
    No on the chlorine tabs, unless you know your CYA level and it's low. Perhaps the most common problem here is excessive CYA -"overstabilized" water - which limits the chlorine activity which then leads to algae, which then requires enormous quantities of bleach and/or a partial drain to clear the pool.

If you get a lot of leaves then a cover may be worth it. If you get a lot of wind, the cover may end up bunched at the downwind end and the pool will still get full of leaves. I don't get a lot of leaves in my pool, so I don't bother covering it. It only takes a few minutes to vacuum when there's more than I feel like snagging with the skimmer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jasonlion,

Wonder if you could help me reference above subject?
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I pretty much do the same as your plan. I have an electric mostly opaque automatic cover so the pool is covered and there is a pool cover pump on it where I pump winter rains into the pool for overflow to dilute the water (you may or may not want to do that -- depends on your chemistry levels and if there is anything like CH or salt level that you want to lower). Note that with the pool unheated and the air temp dropping, the water will get cold and that will significantly lower your chlorine consumption if the pool doesn't get a lot of sun. In my covered pool, I only need to add chlorine about once every two weeks in the winter. I reduce the pump runtime to 4 hours at a slow speed -- equivalent to 2 hours for a single-speed pump.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"