Help for New Pool Filter That I Don't Understand

Apr 19, 2011
Just moved into a home with a SWG pool and a Sta-Rite System3 filter. Best guess is that this pool is similar in size to my prior pool (30,000 gallons) but that's completely my guesstimate. Can't lay my hands on any documentation. As you can see from my signature, I have had a pool, but really feel like I am starting from scratch with so many new components, none of which I really understand.

I went out to look at the filter and this is what I saw:
Sta-Rite Model = # S7M120
Max PSI = 50 psi (running about 12psi right now per gauge)
Filtration Area = 300 sq ft

Basic question is "How do I care for this filter?"

I can't immediately see any valve/controls to allow me to backwash. What am I missing? Thanks.

Howard

First of all, thanks so much for the manual.

As I read it, this is the extent of my day-to-day maintenance:
Weekly Inspection:
1. Skimmer basket - remove debris.
2. Stop pump, release all pressure. Remove trap cover
and basket, remove debris.
3. Bleed air from filter each time system is started.
4. Check pump for leaks. If found, see pump owner’s
manual.
5. Check pump strainer lid for tightness. Do not overtighten!

This sounds almost too good to be true. No backwashing?

I read the manual and it says to clean filter whenever pressure rises 10psi from initial operating pressure. I really don't know what my initial operating pressure was (mentioned above that it is about 12psi now). Any suggestions on when to clean?
Thanks again.

Howard

HowardL said:
I read the manual and it says to clean filter whenever pressure rises 10psi from initial operating pressure. I really don't know what my initial operating pressure was (mentioned above that it is about 12psi now). Any suggestions on when to clean?
Thanks again.

Howard
Now. Then you'll have a baseline. Plus it's only going to get colder, and I can't imagine cleaning a filter without getting splattered some.

So, another 18 months have come and gone, and I've cleaned these cartidges a few times ( about 4 or 5) since I originally posted this topic. But I'm now suspicious that it might be time to replace the cartidges. While I didn't install it, I believe the cartidges are at least 5+ years old right now.

My filter pressure isn't rising but my pool just isn't getting as clean as it should.

I'm getting a lot of very fine "dust" in my pool that sits on the bottom, is immediately dispersed into the water if I brush it or if the polaris cleaner runs over it. But I just can't get rid of it. The polaris bag has a mesh bag that is way too loosely woven to capture this stuff, and it doesn't seem to be captured at all by the filter.

Plus, I've just replace my original salt cell with the Optimum T-Cell-15 and with the transparent casing I can actually see stuff that gets past the filter making it into my salt cell. And from there it's back into the pool.

Any other suggestions? I'm not excited to be buying another replacement item, but I guess 5+ years or so might be the working life of these cartidges. Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Howard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.