Pool Heater size

It is going to depend on where you live, how you use the pool, and what type of heater.

Climate is big. Are you trying to extend the season in a cooler area or just top of the temperature in a year-round area?

Do you plan to swim several days a week or mostly on weekends?

Are you looking at a heat pump or a gas heater? Do you have an idea of your electric and gas rates?

The short answer is : The biggest one you can afford. For a gas heater, a 400k BTU will use almost the same amount of gas as a 200k heater in the end. Sure, the 400k burns twice as much gas, but it will raise the temp of the pool in half the amount of time, so the net gas consumption is virtually identical. The cost of a bigger heater isnt that much more.

Like john asked, are you looking at gas or a heat pump and where are you located.

I am located in Central Illinois and I am just looking to maintain the temperature in the spring and fall. I am located in Central Illinois and I am just looking to maintain the temperature in the spring and fall. We swim daily and I don't know what our rates are. I would assume I would want to stay away from a heat pump due to initial cost.

fireman23 said:
I am located in Central Illinois and I am just looking to maintain the temperature in the spring and fall. I am located in Central Illinois and I am just looking to maintain the temperature in the spring and fall. We swim daily and I don't know what our rates are. I would assume I would want to stay away from a heat pump due to initial cost.

The first and cheapest option for warmer water is a solar blanket. Whether you have a heater or not, this is by far the best bang for the buck, and is essential if you don't want to spend a fortune replacing heat lost overnight.

Have you looked into solar panels? I'm in Indiana, about an hour and 20 minutes SE of Terre Haute, and have good results from solar panels. If you have available south or west facing unshaded roof area or yard space for a ground rack, it can be done for a reasonable initial investment and almost no operating cost.

Gas heaters have lower initial cost than a heat pump, but typically have higher operating costs. If your gas service requires larger pipe to run the heater, the initial cost savings may be eaten up by that. People often add a gas heater to a pool, use it for one month, faint when they get the bill and never use it again. :shock: If you know anybody in your area with a heater, ask them what it costs to heat.

I would say get a gas pool heater with a blanket on the pool as well. Hopefully you have natural gas there rather then propane. Propane costs would kill your wallet. Natural gas not as much. If you really want to extend your swimming season, a gas pool heater is the way to go.

As for brand, I sell Rheem and Hayward all day long. I believe Rheem is a great residential heater and I use the Hayward in a commercial setting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.