New kid on the block. Hi

George N

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2011
New Caney, Texas
Hi everyone! New pool owner here.

I had a friend that purchased an Intex 18’ x 42” pool and the Deluxe Maintenance kit this past summer. Purchased in May sold to me in August. He got rid of it because it fell over twice and the water was always orange looking. I asked why he just didn’t level the ground. He said it was too much trouble and the chemicals were costing too much. Said he would take $70.00 dollars for the whole thing including the chemicals he had on hand. I think as you say here he was Pool Stored.

I setup some treated boards 20’ x 20’ and filled and leveled with bank sand. Total cost was $40.00 for lumber and $75.00 for 14 yards of sand. Most of the sand was used to fill low spots in the yard as I didn’t need near 14 yards. Pool receives full sun all day long.

After filling the pool I have just been adding bleach to it as that’s all my dad did when we were growing up and my eight year old daughter wanted to swim. I searched the net looking for instructions on using all these chemicals, and found this forum. GLAD I did!!

Yesterday, even though he gave me the Wal-Mart 6 way test kit with the drops and a box of 6 Way Strips, I took a water sample to the pool store to see what it was and wanted to have my well water tested also.

My Well Sample:

Saturation Index -0.5
PH 7
TDS 100
CYA 0
TC 0
FC 0
TA 137
TH 183
Salt 0
Borates 15
Copper 0
Iron 0

My Pool Sample:

Saturation Index -0.5
PH 7.1
TDS 100
CYA 0
TC 8.5
FC 7.6
TA 137
TH 183
Salt 0
Borates 15
Copper 0
Iron 0

Last night I added 2 Qts of liquid stabilizer (yes I took the easy way) and can only aerate by turning the return nozzle upward for the Ph (will work on building something soon). I don’t have a salt test kit but will get one, so I only added 80 pounds of salt for now. I got a new SWCG online (pre copper) that I plan to add as soon as the 2600 GPH Sand Filter arrives. I currently have the 1600 GPH cartridge filter that came with the pool.

Headed to grocery store tomorrow and will be picking up some borax to raise that level and baking soda and Muradic Acid to have on hand. Will post new data in a few days. I plan on keeping it open to learn on. And we do have some warm days around here.

Daughter wants a bigger pool already, I told her let me learn on this one and then we will talk about it come spring. I’ll get the TFTestKit once the liquid Wal-Mart kit is empty. Thanks for a great forum.

Welcome to the forum :lol: It certainly sounds like you have done a lot of reading and learning.....you're off to a flying start.

Your test results indicate a CC of around 1 ppm which will probably call to shock the pool here pretty soon. What does your water currently look like?

Thanks for the welcome 257WbyMag and duraleigh.

Water looks really clear. I just added another pint of the liquid conditioner as I didn’t want to add it all at once. I’m going to test it all again later after dark. The pool calculator called for 114 oz but as there is no mark on this pool I can’t tell if it is 80% full or more. In the Wal-Mart test I have enough regents for one more test. Still aerating and will be working on adding borates tomorrow, or should I shock before doing that?

I would consider borates as an option and not part of basic balance. Get your CYA, FC, pH and TA all where you want them and then decide if you want borates. I personally do not use them in my pool.

Hi again.

On 10/26 I shocked my pool as my last test showed some CC.
On 10/29 I went to the pool store to have the water tested and it showed CC of 10 and FC of 10.

My TFP Test set came in the mail today, and my FC is at 24 and CC is 0, so I guess this means the pool store is not accurate. Below please see the store results and mine.

Pool Store:
Salt 2900
TC 10
FC 10
TA 91
Ph 6.8 I started aerating.
CH 211
CYA 80
Borates 13
Temp 70

My Test
Salt 3200
TC 24
FC 24
TA 70
Ph 7.5
CH 211
CYA 80
Borates not showing on test strip
Temp 68

I haven’t added anything to the pool and the SWCG has been off.

In any case is it ok to proceed to adding borates or hold off till FC level is lower?
How long does it take for the FC level to drop?

Thanks

Hi George N, Welcome to TFP!
I was going through a lot when I first started balancing my pool water.
The biggest setback for me was NOT trusting my TF-100 testing and mixing results with the pool store!
Not a good idea.
As soon as I started just using my own testing results, the pool did exactly what it was told to do in a very short time following the wonderful advice here and pool school directions!

Pool is so perfect all the time I haven't needed to add any borates and I have plenty here.
I did add some to get the balance back in check after a 2 week vacation using pucks in a floater and having neighbors drop a couple in the skimmer while we were gone.

The free invaluable info I learned here made this link one of my favorites for saving lots of time and $$.
become-a-tfp-supporter-f27.html

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.