Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autofill or not???

1. Back To Top    #1

Autofill or not???

Any thoughts. I travel for a living so i'm gone a lot and would love to no my pump is getting the water it needs. Pb says he wouldn't because of the failure rate. Is there so something better on the market these days? Thanks Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autofill or not???

I have this one. http://www.mp-industries.com/products.html#autolev

The lever broke after 12 years. I found the replacement part online, and on eBay for a reasonable cost.

I like not having to fill the pool.
    Pool IG 16,000 gallon (33 x 16) Spa IG 700 gallon spa - Dark Plaster, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test
    Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS 3050, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE 150 GPM (rating from manual)
    Pentair Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC40, Polaris 360, Lars Lx400 NatGas heater, Fafco Solar panels

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pb says he wouldn't because of the failure rate.
    I think that has some merit. automation is great but, when unattended, a failed autofill can cause some big problems.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say go for it. I've got one and love it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have an overflow drain and does it drain somewhere you can see it?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

as long as you have an overflow i'd use one. there isn't a lot that can break and for safe measure I'd regulate the amount of water that can flow to the auto-fill. Filling the pool is a nuisance and you'd likely lose as much water every year doing that manually as you would if the auto-fill malfunctioned.

The one on my pool isn't exactly quiet. If it ran free from some amount of time i'd hear it.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

7. Back To Top    #7

One of the main problems with autofills that we tend to see here is that they mask pool leaks. When something is automatically topping off the pool, a leak may go unnoticed until the water bill comes.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like everyone is still divided on this one I guess I'll give this a little more thought.
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, there are lots of people here who have them and have had good luck with them. In those arid areas with lots of heat and low humidity, they can really help out since the evaporation rates in such areas can really be high. That's the great thing about TFP though. We have lots of active users of various products and you will definitely get any and all opinions out there on the pros and cons of things.

10. Back To Top    #10

A big YES vote here.
    The Pentair autofill I installed is as reliable as your toilet tank valve, (same valve without that flapper to leak or go bad).
    I put a shutoff on mine and open it for a couple of hours each week. Some people add a timer as a safety measure.
    Like mentioned before, I also put the overflow drain where we could see if it ever started draining due to a faulty autofill valve.
    My neighbor was filling with a hose, forgot about it and left it on for days, so nothing is foolproof.
    I think you will be glad you did it as it would be much more difficult and expensive to add later.

Best of Luck
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Here in AZ every pool has an auto fill. There seem to be two types. Mine has a brass valve and an arm with a brass float that is similar to a toilet fill but the water comes in from the side not the bottom. The other one uses a plastic Fluidmaster Water Saver fill valve right out of a toilet tank. The nice thing about that one is that you can replace the whole guts of it for about $10 from any hardware store, HD or Lowes
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I have an auto fill and it is a must have. One less thing to worry about on a weekly basis.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the info everyone. I must say I'm leaning toward putting one in. I just need to convince the builder. Wait I'm the boss aren't I.

14. Back To Top    #14

Rv4hess how does the timer work? If I understand you right your using your as a manual fill that you don't have to worry about shutting it off at the exact time.

15. Back To Top    #15

Put it this way It's a 150 dollar option on a pool that costs tens of thousands, and it can always be turned off. Adding one afterwards is a grand at least!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

16. Back To Top    #16

Good point.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

An inexpensive irrigation timer can be installed between the supply and the auto filler. That can be set to limit how much time the auto filler is allowed to run each day. That way even if a filler did fail it wouldn't be running 24/7.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for the info great idea.

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi Steve, the timer thing is like what Chiefwej said, and yes I just open my shutoff valve once a week for a few hours. By then I usually need 1-1.5 inches of water.
    What I saw people on TFP doing was putting the pool autofill on a zone of their existing irrigation system.
    Any type of irrigation timer and, of course, a manual shutoff valve should protect you from what your PB is concerned with.
    You should only need to add water once every 5-7 days so you could turn it off while you are not going to be around.
    That way you don't mask a leak either.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks John they are installing it as I write this. Thanks you guys You talked me into it. Steve