retrofitting plumbing in concrete pool

Oct 24, 2011
Hello all. I am brand new to this forum. My question / situation may have already been adressed in this forum somewhere and I apolgize if that is the case. My mother has an in ground concrete 20 x 40 pool aprox. 40 yrs. old. The plumbing ( main drain , skimmer and return lines ) are all shot. I suspect they were installed using galvanized pipe given the age of the pool. We have replaced the filtration system a few years ago and simply ran 1 1/2 pvc on the surface of the deck. it works . We are going to have the pool drained and painted in the spring along with some minor plaster and concrete repairs. I am wondering if there is some way to run the plumbing under the concrete deck without cutting up the concrete . I for sure don't want to have to cut the pool bottom to access the main drain piping. Is there some type of sleve that would could be used to go through the side wall of the pool so as to allow for the running of a suction line inside of the pool itself? any suggestions welcome. thanks , jeff

Welcome to TFP!

You could tunnel under the deck, but it is typically difficult messy work that most firms won't take on. Unless the deck is fairly narrow, it is easier to cut into the deck.

You can use wall suction ports instead of the main drain, which saves cutting a long trench through the pool it's self.

OK . thanks for the info. The core boring of the wall is kind of what I had in mind. I think we could use the core boring machine to then auger a hole under the deck to allow for the pipe. How many side wall ports do you think would be needed? And do you think the same process could be used for the return lines? Also do you know of a source for the side wall suction ports you mentioned? thanks again , jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.