Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 6'6" deep end do i need main drains?

1. Back To Top    #1

6'6" deep end do i need main drains?

6'6" deep end do i need main drains? The PB is saying he dosent like them he likes to adds two side suction instead. At least i think thats what those pipies are. Anyways there are two skimmers in the pool. Thanks they are shooting the pool tomorrow so I need to figure out what to do thanks. Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 6'6" deep end do i need main drains?

I'd prefer the side wall suction myself.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I need a certain amount or size? Also does it matter where they go? Thanks
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    I'd prefer the side wall suction myself.
    ditto, I think main drains are overrated for even deep pools. The only thing they add is lower circulation but you can do that with either a low side wall suction and/or lower returns.

With side wall suctions, if it is connected to the skimmer, it adds protection for the pump if the water level should drop below the skimmer inlet. If the skimmer is not near the deep end, then I would favor a lower return. It will actually work better than a suction port for deep circulation.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In colder climates, where pools are winterized, side drains, if used, should be no less than three feet down , four if available. This allows them to be air locked below the freeze zone.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys im in south texas so no real cold stuff here.

7. Back To Top    #7

An automatic cleaner will take care of bottom circulation. Kind of like a mobile main drain.